RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you recommend to keep close by for normal and emergency situations that might arise during whelping?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Rather dull scissors for cutting cords ( helps stop the blood flow ). Forceps are good I guess but they just get in my way. Alcohol for treating "thread" that we use to tie the cords. I use all cotton tatting thread or small guage all ctton crochet thread for tying cords. I treat the threads as I cut them. I keep a few ahead of the need on a paper towel which is laying on a paper plate. I keep a deep stainless steele pan handy for dropping scissors etc. into. I keep a little alcohol in that pan and lots of good grade paper towels already torn off of the roll beside it. A waste basket to drop used towels etc. into is a must for me because I get lots of "stuff" that needs throwing away during this process. This is in addition to the above mentioned items by other poster.

·
Registered
966 Posts
surgical gloves and sterile lube, for helping pull a pup if it gets stuck,,,,,

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Umbilical cord scissors
Unwaxed Floss
Hemostat/Forceps
Alcohol
Hand Sanitizer
Hand Wipes
Surgical Gloves
Puppy ID Collars
Tums (Calcium)
Vanilla Ice Cream (calcium)
Milk Replacer
Ky or equivalent jelly
Digital Thermometer
Bulb Syringe
Hand Feeding Kit
Newspapers
Garbage Bags
Rags
Clean-up Supplies
Karo Syrup
Iodine for umbilical cords
Cotton Balls
Non slip bath mats
Towels

Call ahead to vet to ensure who is available the week pups are due so you will know who to call for emergency

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Umbilical cord scissors
Unwaxed Floss
Hemostat/Forceps
Alcohol
Hand Sanitizer
Hand Wipes
Surgical Gloves
Puppy ID Collars
Tums (Calcium)
Vanilla Ice Cream (calcium)
Milk Replacer
Ky or equivalent jelly
Digital Thermometer
Bulb Syringe
Hand Feeding Kit
Newspapers
Garbage Bags
Rags
Clean-up Supplies
Karo Syrup
Iodine for umbilical cords
Cotton Balls
Non slip bath mats
Towels

Call ahead to vet to ensure who is available the week pups are due so you will know who to call for emergency
Great list. The only things I add to this list are my litter journal where I record details about every litter I have, a scale for weighing pups as they are born, and a heating pad and a microwaveable heating disk, along with a clean laundry basket, for keeping pups warm if I need to separate them from mom.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
As described and shown in Myra Savant-Harris' book a warming box - made from a large plastic storage box (40 qt / 38 liter size) roughly 25" x 18" x 7". This is big enough to hold a 12" x 15" heating pad covered with a towel to create a "warm" side and have a "not so warm" side. Cut a hole in the lower corner of the box so you can pass the electrical cord through. This can be plugged in to hold the pups while mom is busy having another.

Or more importantly if you need to get to the vet part way through the whelp, like we did for the last two puppies, everyone can be loaded up and kept warm for the trip and while at the vet.

And to ensure the box stays warm during the trip, a cigarette lighter or power point adaptor so you can plug the warming box in to stay warm during the trip to the vet!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was a first time breeder and made up a box just like the previous poster stated.
I was so thankful I had one as after 7 pups whelped normally my girl ran into trouble had to be taken in for an emergency C-Section to get the 3 last pups out. . We were able to pack up the pups, keep them warm with us on the trip to the vet's.
Used the converter in the car and then just plugged it the box at the Vet's.
It was also a nice box to use if you needed to "work on" a pup who might be in trouble.

Kim S.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
In addition to have vet's number- make sure to call ahead during working hours and give them a head's up that you have a dog starting to whelp, and that in case of an emergency you will be calling! Also, have a back up emergency 24 hour clinic number available in case your vet gets another emergency call before yours.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
In addition to the above
I have a big styrafoam box with a heating pad in it and towels for transport to the vet if necessary
Deelee mucus trap at whelpwise-better than bulb on tiny pups http://www.whelpwise.com/testing/whelping-supplies.html
2 Hemostats
Reglan Tabs
Cal Tabs and vanilla ice cream
Nutri-Cal Puppy
Goat Milk
I use whelping pads and I have a bunch to exchange during labor
Feeding tube to put down pups-french
I have immune frozen plasma also

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
In addition to the above
I have a big styrafoam box with a heating pad in it and towels for transport to the vet if necessary
Deelee mucus trap at whelpwise-better than bulb on tiny pups http://www.whelpwise.com/testing/whelping-supplies.html
2 Hemostats
Reglan Tabs
Cal Tabs and vanilla ice cream
Nutri-Cal Puppy
Goat Milk
I use whelping pads and I have a bunch to exchange during labor
Feeding tube to put down pups-french
I have immune frozen plasma also

Like the styrafoam box idea.. I get those frequently and just toss them..:p

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think combined these posts have provided an excellent list on what to have available. The only things I can think to add are a flashlight-if you have to air in the dark, you'll want to watch for puppies. I keep homemade chicken stock on hand to give for a little nourishment and also give the vanilla ice cream. After whelping I give my girls a bowl of warm milk made from equal parts water and canned condensed milk.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I think combined these posts have provided an excellent list on what to have available. The only things I can think to add are a flashlight-if you have to air in the dark, you'll want to watch for puppies. I keep homemade chicken stock on hand to give for a little nourishment and also give the vanilla ice cream. After whelping I give my girls a bowl of warm milk made from equal parts water and canned condensed milk.
I forgot the homemade chicken soup. They all get it to get them started eating.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oh.. and I forgot the bottle of wine or two( or substitute your favorite liquid beverage) to open and toast the new Mom and reward the "help" when all is done!!!

Kim S.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh.. and I forgot the bottle of wine or two( or substitute your favorite liquid beverage) to open and toast the new Mom and reward the "help" when all is done!!!

Kim S.
I'll have to add that one! :D
A pot of coffee and some people snacks on hand is a good idea too. A lot of time can pass by the time the big event is over and everything settles down.

·
Registered
687 Posts

I second this. Get one and chuck out the usless bulb.

I always cook up a big pot of broth with boneless chicken thighs and rice to get a lot of liquid and food into my girls the first few days post whelp.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I used a shallow plastic bin lined with newspaper for containing the placenta fun and easy cleaning for processing pups.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

Kim S.
Well now if we are talking about what the mid-wife needs - that's got to be a whole different list... no wine or coffee...but lots of Dr. Pepper ;)

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Well now if we are talking about what the mid-wife needs - that's got to be a whole different list... no wine or coffee...but lots of Dr. Pepper ;)
And dog gets the vanilla and whelper gets the Turtle ice cream.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts