RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just earned our Senior Title two weeks ago and I am curious if their is a base line, or when should I feel comfortable entering our first Masters. I have pretty good control and his marking is coming along nicely. However picking up clean triples on a consistent bases is my main challenge. Pretty sure we can get all the chickens, just might run out of handles to get the pass. Should I take my time and get him (and myself) more solid in the advanced work or do like my training partner says "what are you waiting for". I guess the bottom line is the dog is probably more capable than I am..

·
Registered
275 Posts
If the dog is a good marker, can handle things like running blinds through old fall areas, poison birds, double poison birds, two down the shore, Diversions thrown between marks, diversions in route to the blind, and basically anything else you can dream of...then I say go for it!! Seriously, if your dog is steady, and isn't creating bad habits then go run 1 and test him out. Worst that can happen is no pass and you learn what kind of stuff to train for.

·
Registered
303 Posts
No, You and your dog are not ready for the masters. The fact that you had to ask suggests you are unaware of everything that a finished dog needs to know. If you don’t know it then I am pretty sure you have not taught it to your dog.
I suggest you stop running your dog in hunt tests and concentrate on learning what makes a finished dog then concentrate on teaching your dog everything he needs to know.
You already said he cannot do triples clean so don’t set yourself, and him up to fail. You should not go to a test to see if you and your dog can do it. You should go to prove you both can do it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Brian, I think you answered your own question. I'm in the same boat and I'm glad I didn't enter next week. I don't want to be hoping to pass, I want to feel confident that we will pass. I'm in no hurry and it's a jump between Senior and Master. It will happen so keep training.
Pat

·
Registered
150 Posts
Next week we go to run for our senior title. Absolutely 0 doubt the dog can flat smoke a senior test. Not saying he will, just saying i know he can do the work. This is the first one i have ever ran in test. I will spend some time at masters next weekend watching to see their set up just for me to grab a better understanding of what is necessary to equip ourselves with. Probably go to a couple more masters to just watch. I have to know we are capable of making the test look elemtary, until them we are training. So far it has worked well for us. Well that and a couple guys i train with are old hands at this stuff

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Just earned our Senior Title two weeks ago and I am curious if their is a base line, or when should I feel comfortable entering our first Masters. I have pretty good control and his marking is coming along nicely. However picking up clean triples on a consistent bases is my main challenge. Pretty sure we can get all the chickens, just might run out of handles to get the pass. Should I take my time and get him (and myself) more solid in the advanced work or do like my training partner says "what are you waiting for". I guess the bottom line is the dog is probably more capable than I am..
Take your time, and give him (and yourself) more knowledge on the big stuff. Go to one and watch, see what can be done/ A finished dog for a duck or goose hunt is not neccesarily a dog ready to run master. I finished senior with one of mine recently and, too am anxious to run him in the big boy stake but he needs more work, I'm sure of it. I dont train on tricks much ,just solid tests of marking and control. I'll know when he is ready and you'll know when your dog is ready too...

·
Registered
968 Posts
its only 1 more mark. :)

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
You should be shooting well below par on a routine basis. But the Masters is by invitation only, so I'd say that if you are invited, you are ready.:p

·
Registered
968 Posts
Actually, it's at least 4 more marks;)......and no controlled breaks.
Actually it could be 5 if they want to do all triples.

I was ment per series.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You should be shooting well below par on a routine basis. But the Masters is by invitation only, so I'd say that if you are invited, you are ready.:p
Dang, Glen. Did you just make a joke?:p

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Cool!...................................

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Cool!!! but how do you run 3 tests in a weak?
Just over a week you can run a double header Fri, Sat & Sun and then Sat & Sun of the next week. Heck, if you could find em, you could run 2 double headers every week.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Just over a week you can run a double header Fri, Sat & Sun and then Sat & Sun of the next week. Heck, if you could find em, you could run 2 double headers every week.
Guess Im confused? Our Master tests take 2 days. i thought you couldnt double stake a dog on the same day, in the same class.
Does this mean if you have 2 master test , you can run in both flights.
Just curious,
Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
946 Posts
The club can have one master test on Friday and Saturday and another master on Saturday and Sunday. If the have more than 60 dogs entered they have to split the stakes and run A and B tests of which you can only be in one

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The one I ran was in Butte Mt and it was a double Master. It actually started on Thursday and went through Sunday. So one master Thursday Friday the next one Saturday Sunday.. It was a stressful weekend to say the least.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts