RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people run their dogs on empty stomachs on the day of a trial and do one feeding after the last series? I read an article by Lardy quite some time ago that was about a study that Purina did with sled dogs which showed they performed better on empty stomachs. Last summer I only ran 3 derbies and would feed the night before. I didn't feed him until we got back home after the trials. I liked the results. Curious what other people are doing.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I believe and follow that article, which as I recall was by Arleigh Reynolds.
If it has been debunked I would be interested in hearing new studies

·
Registered
131 Posts
How many people run their dogs on empty stomachs on the day of a trial and do one feeding after the last series? I read an article by Lardy quite some time ago that was about a study that Purina did with sled dogs which showed they performed better on empty stomachs. Last summer I only ran 3 derbies and would feed the night before. I didn't feed him until we got back home after the trials. I liked the results. Curious what other people are doing.
I tend to eat a big breakfast at the hotel buffet before heading to the trial grounds in the morning. I tend to make more mistakes when I'm hangry!!!

As for the dogs, they tend to show dimished interest in the food bowl the whole weekend, especially in the morning.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
You are doing it right IMO.
This is one of those rare instances when mjh is correct, Arleigh Reynolds was the expert involved in the Purina study. It has not been debunked.
A good friend of mine knows Arleigh very well and forwards questions to him occasionally, pretty cool.

Reactions: Tobias
1 - 7 of 7 Posts