RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are finally getting back in the puppy biz after the fire of 2010. Got a nice litter due on Friday. Nice bred bitch to a great hunting dog from AFC Coolwaters Ready To Go
and probably the smartest dog I have ever trained.
Come home from work Wednesday about 2 and there is a cool wet puppy in the dog house in the kennel. I had intended to bring her down to the downstairs garage in the whelping area Wed. night. So I gut the puppy out ASAP, brought Charger down to the whelping box and tried to warm the puppy. Put a towel in the dryer to get it hot and wrapped the pup in it for a few minutes.
Pup is whining and squirming so I thought we might save that one. Charger starts panting, digging and nesting, has a discharge so I figure, here comes another. No dice.
4 hours later still no pup, so start ,making calls and get a local vet, Jeremiah Alexander from Farmstead here in Walker Co. (my regular vet gone to the beach for the week) and here we go anticipating another C section. Get to vet and we give her a shot of Oxytocin to attempt to induce natural labor, 20 minutes later, nothing.
Vet and his wife have not eaten supper, so my wife and I head to Zaxby’s to pick up eats for us anticipating the typical all nighter. Clock is ticking and I am thinking the bill is headed for 4 figures. Don’t really care as I am trying to produce a special pup, line bred on Ready. ½ hour later just as it is approaching C section time, we get a natural born choc. male. Few minutes later another. 1 hour later another.
We decide to do an X ray to see how many left and as I am picking her up one falls out on my feet. Get that one going and see 3 left. 1 big puppy still born ½ hour later. We decide to head home since we know only 2 left and she is finally doing it on her own. As soon as we hit the whelping area, here they come. Finally done about 11 PM.
We ended up with 6 nice pups. 3 choc males, 2 black males and 1 black female. All doing well today and a great mother.
I don’t why it is with some of these well bred, valuable dogs that the whelping has to be so complicated. A junk yard dog can have a litter in a sewer pipe in January, outside in the cold and all will live just fine.
Lessons to learn.
Put the mother in the whelping area 2 days earlier than expected.
Don’t make plans on puppy week
Have a plan B for when vet is out of town.
Expect the worst. Hope for the best.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Congratulations on the good outcome and a nice litter! Hoping your special one is in there and it he/she is all you could ever want. The future plan for birthing pups sounds like a great plan. Sure enough you can never anticipate everything that is going to happen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We just had our first litter. Not knowing what to expect, I kinda went all out. Had mom in the welping box about 4 days early (pups came 1 day early), had contacted our vet and another local one "just in case", had the sires owners on speed dial (they said call "whenever" we thought we needed something), I took a week off from work. Have enough esbilac, bottles, colostrum, gloves, and my crazy big end of the world first aid kit (not sure really why I had it out, guess it made me feel better), a towel warmer, heat lamp, partridge in a pear tree, wait, belay the last one..............
I think the lessons I have taken from folks on here has been that you cant over plan and you cant always anticipate everything. I do appreciate folks sharing their experinces because it help all of us (especially me) learn a little.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You know me Mike. I hope you find that "special pup" to be one of the Chocolate males. Gotta love those brown boys.

Janet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts