RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
There are several dogs that have done well coming from hunt tests. Don Wolf had Desert Storm. I know Lynn Yelton runs some of her dogs in hunt tests and Larry Wharton had FC/AFC Ko-z Acres McGyver MH (who is the sire of my older female).

I personally think that the master tests are more involved with walk-ups, diversion birds thrown in close to the dog returning with a bird, remote honors and every mark retired. Yes some qualifying blinds are through the marks but most master tests have the blinds through the marks.

In 2004 the field trial clubs will have the option to have an owner handler Qualifying stake where the amateurs will not have to go head to head with the pro's. Hopefully, this will get more hunt test people involved in field trials.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Beware the "white coats=picking out the guns" generalization. White coats serve as a monumental suction factor in some marking tests. I think using both "white coats" AND hidden guns should be a part of any young dog's marking program. They need to learn to rely on what their eyes tell them about where the birds land, rather than just pick out the gun stations.

Besides, even a dog with just a little experience can pick out hidden gun stations. Pointing out the guns in training is a good way to teach a dog line mechanics and overall test mechanics. It's how dogs learn to "figure out" a test. If they always get hidden guns in training, the dogs learn that things will fly out from any place, and may not learn to focus. Always have visible gunners in training, until jut a few weeks before you plan on running the dog in HT.

Lisa

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I hide the Maxx5000's quite often. Every dog, every time has always turned to that station when the disc begins to turn, before the explosion. Distance, so far, hasn't seemed to make a difference. They're hearing the movement of the disc somehow.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I love wiley old dogs coming to the line. You can hide ten gun stations on a 600-acre ranch, and the old hands will have all ten figured out between the time they leave the holding blind to the time they get to the line. It's fun to watch, too. You can see the wheels turning. "Yup, there's gonna be one there, one over there, flyer station to the left, yup, yup, yup."

Lisa

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Miriam Wade said:
What I'm hearing though is that the extra expense comes from sending your dog to a pro? Is that right?
M
Probably true. I sent my dogs to a pro because of the technical water situation. We just don't have it in Chicago (can you imagine a 2 down the shore at the lake front?) Additionally, the sun is setting now at 4:15 p.m. so it's dark by the time I leave for work. To allow my dogs to be truely competitive in FT they needed the exposure of the technical ponds. Plus, the pro has bird boys, birds, etc on a daily basis. I got hooked on field trials when I first saw them, because of the precision dog work. Unlike Keith (?), I feel that ribbon is still mine, even if the pro happens to run the dog on a fe occassions. And, I know that dog still thinks that ribbon is mine. My derby dog turns to make sure I'm there watching, and if I'm not receivng him, after he gets done, he's running to me to make sure I'm happy with his job! Besides the fact, my contribution to my dogs have been the puppy basics I've put into them at minimum as well as some basics and transitional work. I look at the dogs training as a combination of people's work.

·
Registered
890 Posts
RBP said:
There are several dogs that have done well coming from hunt tests. Don Wolf had Desert Storm. I know Lynn Yelton runs some of her dogs in hunt tests and Larry Wharton had FC/AFC Ko-z Acres McGyver MH (who is the sire of my older female).

I personally think that the master tests are more involved with walk-ups, diversion birds thrown in close to the dog returning with a bird, remote honors and every mark retired. Yes some qualifying blinds are through the marks but most master tests have the blinds through the marks.

In 2004 the field trial clubs will have the option to have an owner handler Qualifying stake where the amateurs will not have to go head to head with the pro's. Hopefully, this will get more hunt test people involved in field trials.
Don't forget Jerry Day's dog Sue. She's a good example of progressing to FT's. I agree 100% with you RBP about the trickiness in Master stakes, ie. remote honors, closely shot flyers, walk-ups. Those things can get pretty tough. A decent marking dog usually doesn't have trouble with HT marks, it's the other little things that will get you. Especially if you have a high-powered dog.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I started in NAHRA. Got a wall full of ribbons and some titles... ran field trials, got a ribbon in every one i ran my dawg in... now i'm looking for something more challenging!!!

Please do not ask me to apply actual numbers or colors to any of that... ruins the mood.

Shayne - Taught the macho dawg the Electric Slide last night... now all i need is some tricked up hair and we are ready to enter that freestyle stuff.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Shayne Mehringer said:
I started in NAHRA. Got a wall full of ribbons and some titles... ran field trials, got a ribbon in everyone i ran my dawg in... now i'm looking for something more challenging!!!

Please do not ask me to apply actual numbers or colors to any of that... ruins the mood.

Shayne - Taught the macho dawg the Electric Slide last night... now all i need is some tricked up hair and we are ready to enter that freestyle stuff.
Hehehe :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Mr Booty said:
redline said:
Drill a hole in you head. Bend over. when enough runs out your ready to
make the move to field trials. :wink:
There is much wisdom to these comments, Grasshopper! One has to be a bit obsessed, a little crazy, foolish with ones' money and co-dependent with retrievers! One must thrieve on humility and rejection. I guess that's why I like it so much! I liken it to trying to date Pam Anderson when she was 15 years younger, NO WAY. I think it might have something to do with the challenge and one's ego, sick as it may be.
Booty, ya be right in my wavelength......keep it goinin'.......keeps us oldsters young.....

Nazdrowie...............a tip of the old hootch to ya..... :drinking:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Don't forget FC/AFC, GMHR Cedar Valley's Hi Bred Turk as one of the dogs that made the switch from HT to FT.

I started out in NAHRA with my first dog Dottie and put her MH title on her on Sunday and the following Friday got a 3rdn a Qualifying. The 3rd place was much more gratifying to me than the MH because she could do the hunt test work in her sleep. But the Qual, now that was tough stuff. The dog that won that particular Qual was NFC Rocket!

I'm too competitive to compete in the HT game. It really irked me when Dottie smoked the field in the few NAHRA tests she ran and got the same ribbon that the rest of the qualifiers got while doing much more inferior work.

If you are competitive, the FT game can't be beat. But you better be ready for rejection, cause only it's the name of the game most of the time. But the highs are REALLY high in Field Trials.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.