RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here’s what I’ve got and my situation I’ve got a BLF she was born august 31 and I have a lot of neighbor dogs and I don’t want a bunch of mixed breed Heinz 57 dogs and my mom and my sister are pressuring me a lot to get her spayed but I’ve read that you don’t want to spay until they are older but the lady that I got the dog from says six months. So at what age should I get her spayed.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Ok so here’s what I’ve got and my situation I’ve got a BLF she was born august 31 and I have a lot of neighbor dogs and I don’t want a bunch of mixed breed Heinz 57 dogs and my mom and my sister are pressuring me a lot to get her spayed but I’ve read that you don’t want to spay until they are older but the lady that I got the dog from says six months. So at what age should I get her spayed.

The reason you cite for spaying the dog are not valid reasons. I am against spay or neuter unless there are valid medical reasons for doing so. For your convenience is not a valid reason. If you must I'd wait till 2 yr old. The lady you got your pup from doesnt have a clue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well see it’s not exactly for my convenience it’s just that we have puppies running around here like mice they are everywhere and every female dog around is bred just as soon as she goes into heat and I didn’t want to add to the puppy population because no one wants them so I thought that I was being reaponsible

·
Registered
3 Posts
You will have a choice to make. Spay in a timeframe that research suggests is detrimental to your female's overall health and longevity in order to prevent unwanted pregnancies or...do not let your female run freely during her heat cycle. That means watching her closely and keeping her separate from the neighborhood dogs during those few weeks each year.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Overpopulation is a serious problem. If you cannot keep your pup from an unwanted breeding -- with 100% certainty (this is lifestyle and management with layers of failsafe measures) -- then the responsible action is to get your dog spayed.

There is a lot of information available on pros/cons of early spay; not all universally agreed upon even in the veterinary community. Do your research. Weigh it against your ability to GUARANTEE that your pup will not be impregnated. Make the responsible decision.

The responsible decision for me may not be the same for you.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Ideally you wait till she is done growing which will be after she has had a heat cycle. But as T Pines says weigh the benefit of possibly better health against risk she gets pregnant if you wait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts