RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

My pup is about 9.5 months old and I wanted to see when most people switch over to adult food. Ellie's right around 65 pounds now and has slowed to some extent on her overall growth rate. I figured I'm probably getting a bit closer to the time to switch over. I've heard varying things from 8-9 months on puppy food all the way to 1-1.5 years old. Any recommendations?

Also, I know people are very divided on what type of food but any thoughts on that would be helpful also!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Now.
Switch to an adult version of wahtever brand pup food youre feeding.If you arent happy with that, there are a lot of brands out there to pick from. I like Eukanuba

·
Registered
915 Posts
I never even feed puppy food. The reason is I've seen dogs that their bones can grow too fast with it and become lame. They eventually grow out of it but the foods usually have too much protein I believe. Vets have told me to just feed adult food to puppies.

BHB

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hunter,
What exactly are you feeding now? Brand and formula? Are you feeding a Large Breed Puppy formula?
You can switch now is you want. If your dog is very active and on the thin side then a performance formula may work best but any high quality adult food 24/14 or higher should be just fine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I was told by the Euk folks that the puppy food actually slows the bone development (on purpose) to make them grow more dense. They also recommend puppy food until 24 months. We have fed a couple different brands (recently switched to Euk) and didn't switch off of puppy food until at least a year and a half. There are several good brands out, just make sure that the primary ingredient is meat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to this point i've been feeding the 4health brand from tractor supply. she's done really well on it to this point so i never really considered any other brands.

i've been looking at some of the Eukanuba brands including their performance offering as of late and thought that may be a good fit since she is a very active dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts