RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a percentage of amount of food you cut back on.
My dog has gained about 10 lbs in the past year and maybe 15-20 in the past 2 or three. I feal like she should be around 55-60 lbs, but wieghed 74 at the vet
I havnt trianed hardley any the past winter due to work. Im about to try to get back with it.
Was feediing about 2.5 cups in morning and 2 at night. Would 4 cups a day be the place to start, or should I cutt back more and any ideal on how long it would take to know if were making progress.
Vet said could use his scale anytime.
Thanks for any advice and do know it may be a question that cant be answered

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I feed my 72 lb BLM 1 3/4 cups twice/day of Native #2. He also gets some treats during the day. Obviously based on what you are feeding now and the weight gain you have seen she is getting way too much. My dogs ribs just barely show and he's trained pretty actively each day.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
wow, 4.5 cups a day is more than I feed my 5 yr old MH when he is in heavy training. And if you are feeding a high performance food, that is way too much.

I have one girl who gains weight easily. She is on adult formula, rather than performance, and she only gets two cups a day (one am, one pm). That is what it takes to maintain proper body condition when she isn't getting much exercise.

First, look at whether you are feeding performance or adult. If you are feeding performance, you need to cut WAY back, or you need to switch to adult (fewer calories) and still only feed about 2.5 to 3 cups a day.

Meredith

·
Registered
893 Posts
I feed my 80 lber just under two cups, twice a day..... plus some treats...... he could use to lose five pounds, but hunt test season is starting, so Im not to worried. Sound like your feeding quite a bit.......JMO

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am feeding Purina One (not Pro Plan) Adult. Just looked at website and it says 26% protien and 16% Fat, 383 K/cals per cup ,51-75 lbs 3-4 cups a day.
They changed the look of the packages and food awhile back and Im thinking it used to say upto 5 cups a day.
My 84 lbs male eats 5 cups and is skinny.
Seems like after a litter a couple years ago she just started gaining wheigt gradually.
Oh and no treats

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I fed my male 3 cups a day of adult and he lost about 12 pounds over the course of a year and a half from about 4 1/2 cups a day.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Dogs vary a great deal in how much they need. I have one that gets fat on air & water. She only eats a bit over 2 cups a day, split into 2 meals, and she gets trained daily. She would happily consume 3x that if she had her choice. Another gets twice that and sometimes more if she starts to lose weight.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Is there a percentage of amount of food you cut back on.
It depends.

Firstly, how convinced are you that the dog is overweight? How do you judge this? In common with many handlers I like to see the back two or three ribs showing, but that's in the middle of the hunting season; at this time of year I want to rest them, put a bit of flesh on, and recover from all the knocks, bangs and cuts we've collected. (Me as well as The Boys;-))

Assuming you are right about the dog being seriously overweight, the answer isn't necessarily less food; it might very well be that the old girl is under exercised; given your remarks that seems quite possible. Cutting back the grub of an unfit, under exercised dog isn't a good route forward; it has to be some of both ... exercise and improved diet.

Eug

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am convinced she is a little over weight. Depending on the way she stands you cant see any ribs, but sometimes you can. Maybe she is just short and wider by nature.
You can pinch her skin and feels like a layer of fat.
Alls my vet said was wow she did can a few ponds last year. I did not think to ask him if he thought she was over weight, I just assume so. Because my male gained about 10 lbs also but looks lean.
Going to cut back a little on food and try to start training more and see.
Im just concerned on how much to cut back to on food, so that she doesnt get malnurished.
Thanks, All

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 80 # male gets 4 cups/day - 1 in the morning and 3 at bed time. My 60 # female gets 3 3/4 cups / day - 1 in the morning and 2 3/4 at night before bed time. He stays pretty lean, she will tend to gain a little weight on that amount unless she is hunting hard!

LL

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I would cut her back by one-fourth initially and increase her exercise if possible. If that's not making any changes, drop it more.

Also, if you don't see improvement in about 6 weeks, take her back to the vet for full T3-T4 thryoid panel

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
2.5 cups in morning and 2 at night.
I'd cut it down to 2 in the am and 1.5 in the pm for a month and see where she is. If she's loosing great. If she's maintaining cut back another half cup in the am meal. I bet she won't be loosing to fast on that amount.

My Bam, 56-7 lbs gets 1.5 in am and 1.5 in pm and maintains pretty well until she's swimming lots in summer when I have to add a little.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a 9 year old spayed female that gets 3/4 of a cup of Innova low cal, 1/2 c cooked green beans, a ball of raw hamburger (she takes 1/2 Proin tab twice a day in the hamburger), 1 tbs. Missing Link and 1 tbs. of yogurt (low fat) twice a day. She gets either a walk in the park or some marks or swimming 5-6 days a week and weighs 66 lbs. She is a good weight for her size and frame. Frozen green beans from the freezer section can be microwaved in about 7 min. and they add bulk and make the dog think they are getting more food, but not the calories. This helps them lose weight.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for everyones input.
I am going to cut back her food a little more and go to vet to have her weighed every now and then, but I think I am going to be able to get back to training some Instead of once a week.
Just wanted to make sure I dont over do the weight lose thing and starve her.
383 k/cals per cup sounds like a lot less than some of you feed?
On the other hand I just ran 4 tight blinds with her, and she did alot better than she had been. Maybe time off helped:eek: And hopefully my male will do just as good after his stitches are out and his time off:cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
You may also want to have your dogs thyroid checked. A low thyroid dog can easily gain weight even when diet and exercise are optimum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts