Stop for the day and go home
Stop for ten minutes and gather your thoughts
Put up the dog and get another dog out
Put everything back on truck, drive to fresh location, start over
Carry on as if nothing happened.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not enough options. Those are the things you should do.
What about the things you should't do?

Whip more with heeling stick.
Extra stimulation.
Hang from truck.
Beat with pipe.
Get out next dog and continue in bad mood.

WAH - JK

·
Registered
169 Posts
Rarely do i completely lose my temper, but when the frustration level gets to the point that its not fun anymore , I stop.

like the old saying goes "if your not having fun.........don't do it"

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
The more you do this animal training thing, the more it takes for you to really get pissed off. If I should happen to get that mad I usually pick up the dog by the collar and give it a good shake or let them have it with a wiffle ball bat. A couple of wacks is all it takes. I don't stay mad and I'm over it in two seconds.

Next dog please!!!!!

Angie

·
Registered
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WAH said:
Not enough options. Those are the things you should do.
What about the things you should't do?
Whip more with heeling stick.
Extra stimulation.
Hang from truck.
Beat with pipe.
Get out next dog and continue in bad mood.
WAH - JK

That can be your poll 8) . Also notice I did not ask "if" but "When" knowing everyone can get a little hot. Sometimes it may be toward another in your training group that day and not at your dog at all. I have seen handlers loose it and yell at another for a poorly thrown bird before :shock: . Makes for a fun tailgate discussion after.
Ken Bora

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Where's the crying option? :oops:

Used to think it was the worst thing in the world; I've recently (like, yesterday) decided it's just fine every once in a blue moon.

I can't do anything else when I'm crying, so I guess "stop for the day" would be a decent stand-in.

--Greta

·
Registered
573 Posts
I used to throw my tranmitter away to get it out of my hand. :lol: :lol:

Tranmitter had a lots of dings in it.
Truck had a dent in the door.
Spent 30 minutes looking for the transmitter once.

But it was not in my hand so I could not push the button.

·
Registered
553 Posts
dogs

Now your talking LVL!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have learned to step back from that dog and get the other one out (I am lucky for some reason only one dog a day really ticks me off).

I had a good training partner who would settle me down and bring perspective to the situation and allow me to at least work through the issue before I put the dog up (she would take away my transmitter too!) Now I just switch it to 0 and get out the other dog.

SS

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
My granpa said that if you haffta hit a dog the first one is for the dog the rest are for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I usually throw a fun bumper and walk back to the truck pet her on the tailgate and put her away. It really takes a lot to get me that po'd. I am constantly telling myself they are dogs.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I haven't lost my temper while training in years. Last time I remember getting hacked at a dog while training was a Chessie male that I trained amish. SOB wanted to stay in the water, it was March and I had to swim. I was pissed! :lol: just as I got to him, before I even got close enough to touch him, he swam to shore. I was shivering so bad when I got back I just loaded him up and drove home.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
SOB wanted to stay in the water, it was March and I had to swim.
Dude! You are allowed to use ropes when you Amish train!

Show of hands: who here thinks Russ should just stay away from Chessie training altogether?

Lisa

·
Registered
7 Posts
Russ,

Thanks for a much needed, full-goose bozo, roll on the floor, LOL. I really needed it.

I've got your back. I think we made a pretty good 'tag team.' Have you ever considered professional wrestling?

With very high regards, your friend, Matt

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
matt erkert said:
Russ,

Thanks for a much needed, full-goose bozo, roll on the floor, LOL. I really needed it.

I've got your back. I think we made a pretty good 'tag team.' Have you ever considered professional wrestling?

With very high regards, your friend, Matt
You and Russ tag-teamed Griffith? :shock:

Shayne

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I seldom if ever lose my temper with a dog (people may be another matter). Maybe many years ago I would get ticked off at a dog. Now I will yell and cuss a bit, but I have gone from becoming angry at a dog to a sense of frustration and disappointment with myself. I always blame myself.
I am great at throwing the transmitter to the ground these days however.

·
Registered
16,996 Posts
There are meds for those with anger management disorders.

I would recomend them to anyone I thought need to take them! I was on Wellbutren when I was trying to quit smoking. It helped for a while with the smoking but, I couldn't get mad at a damn thing. :wink:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts