RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a friend who bought a dog on impulse in the parking lot at Bass Pro, lousy pedigree. Went inside a bought a whistle and 3 bumpers. First dog to ever train. No ecollar. Took her to day 4 of the Grand first time to run it. Need?

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
The Long Rifle cartridge was the least made in the 1890 model. Only about 10% of total sales.Most all were Short or Long or WRF.
The action is cartridge specific Short only cycles Short, Long only cycles Short.
Most popular gun used in Carnival shooting galleries. In fact the short is commonly referred to as “gallery gun”
Now the gun that replaced the 1890 ( (the 1906). The action cycles short, long or Long rifle… The 06 didn’t come with Octagon barrel or fancy “ Crescent Butt Stock.
Some of the early 1890’s were colored case hardened too.
Bring Big money now!

Mine is a shooter! Work has been done to it making non original! Functions perfectly though.. That gun as been all over the place with me! It has taken game animals.. many blue grouse..

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
JM, I didn't but I b****y well do now.

When I decided to pack in with dogs I gave all the gear away to friends and deserving cases, even clothing. Having gone back on that and taken young "Finn" on board I reviewed the kit locker .... one stainless steel feed bowl, an Acme Thunderer refs whistle and two tennis balls. Terriff.

So I've had to build up the "stuff" collection from scratch and boy does it cost. Added to which the insurance company that said they would cover Finn's treatment and numerous X-rays when he went lame have welched on the deal so I'm another £750 out of pocket. All in all after eight months I'm quite sure I've spent considerably more than his original purchase value in Vet bills, and "things".

Onwards and sideways ....

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ha, ha. I just got my first new whistle in 30 years. My two old whistles have been goose, duck, pheasant, grouse, sharptail, and woodcock hunting in 6 states and 2 countries. I had to bleach them many times and one of them cracked and the other one sounds like a cricket who just heard cockroaches just evolved into an even tougher pest.

We all need to get together and develop a reality show where one guy is given one pistol, one dummy, one ecollar, and a whistle, and the rest of us are given credit to all the equipment vendors, bird suppliers, whatever we want, and then see whose dog advances more quickly. (I admit I'll be voted off first but I don't even know what I still don't know.)

I HATE buying stuff and consuming--it's bad for the planet and my bank account. But I can't imagine one person with a starter's pistol (remember that requires blanks), (plus maintenance stuff like gun oil and a good barrel brush), plus a dummy, plus an ecollar (which requires a charger, perhaps different plugs), plus a whistle could train a dog to an MH or Qual win faster than the guy who has wingers, remote transmitters, primers, blind markers, holding blinds, and all the rest of the stuff, etc.

It would be a very good challenge to watch, however.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I HATE buying stuff and consuming--it's bad for the planet and my bank account. But I can't imagine one person with a starter's pistol (remember that requires blanks), (plus maintenance stuff like gun oil and a good barrel brush), plus a dummy, plus an ecollar (which requires a charger, perhaps different plugs), plus a whistle could train a dog to an MH or Qual win faster than the guy who has wingers, remote transmitters, primers, blind markers, holding blinds, and all the rest of the stuff, etc.

It would be a very good challenge to watch, however.
"It's not a race , It's a journey " he said.
...Perhaps it is the marketing and sales of products (incl dogs) that promotes the 'Stuff' to be consumed ?
I'm old enough to remember a piece of bailing twine used as a lead and two fingers in the mouth ..and a gas lamp.(No electricity) :)
I still have a fifty year old Turner Richards hand launcher. Hope you never gave that away Col Blimp ?, they could and can take all types of primers and a fold up 4/10 was also very handy . These days I use 'Party poppers' , about £2.50 for x50...Inflation , they used to be about £1.
ps. I hate buying stuff too JM. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Then you get really crazy and buy some land to live on and train your dogs. This puts you into a completely more ludicrous orbit of buying "stuff" to keep the place up!!

Reactions: J. Marti

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Just don’t let your spouse see it
I'm safe on that score. Both she and her daughter, who lives in our mother-in-law suite, raise and show golden retrievers in conformation as well as obedience, rally, and a little lure coursing and hunt tests. With the conformation, obedience and rally competitions, they usually dump at least $1000/event. They have at least 4 to 8 in competition at any time. They haul their dogs in a Ford Transit and stay in motels. The last year or so they've been talking about and looking at Class C RV. They reason that it'll save significant money in motel/restaurant costs and payments would be cheaper than what they're spending now. Many years ago, I was friends with the late Jim & Irene Strapp. Irene was an all breed AKC show judge and owned and showed German shorthairs and Lhasa Apsos. I recall Jim once telling me that if he and Irene didn't have the dogs, they could have an RV. Well, I guess now even if you have dogs, RV is the way to go. Welcome

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
Just saw a news story on Deepak Chopra! He was asked what he thought about America when he first arrived.
He said
“The most amazing thing! You spend money you don’t need, to impress people you really don’t like”

‘Bout covers it!
:)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Echoing Don's post above ...

Post Covid lock downs the Scurry season is now open, and I was asked to to volunteer ( :cool: ) for a couple of days at the BASC scurry in Builth Wells at the National Welsh Showground. Been there many times before when we lived in Powys and always enjoyed the show and the craic.

The Management will do a few hours in the admin tent; taking entry fees, collating the times, all that stuff, and I'll be running one or two of the events. For this we get the princely sum of "mileage allowance" and a free dinner in the pub on Saturday night. The allowance is around £30, call it $40 and no change. Dog friendly overnight accommodation, admittedly at short notice, was hard to find, so we've booked a "shepherds hut" a coupe of miles out of town for £200. God help us we must be mad.

The gaff has a "composting toilet" and please don't tell me what that is; I think I know and I already don't like it.

I'll take a few pics of the event, but rest assured the sanitary arrangements won't figure.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Echoing Don's post above ...

Post Covid lock downs the Scurry season is now open, and I was asked to to volunteer ( :cool: ) for a couple of days at the BASC scurry in Builth Wells at the National Welsh Showground. Been there many times before when we lived in Powys and always enjoyed the show and the craic.

The Management will do a few hours in the admin tent; taking entry fees, collating the times, all that stuff, and I'll be running one or two of the events. For this we get the princely sum of "mileage allowance" and a free dinner in the pub on Saturday night. The allowance is around £30, call it $40 and no change. Dog friendly overnight accommodation, admittedly at short notice, was hard to find, so we've booked a "shepherds hut" a coupe of miles out of town for £200. God help us we must be mad.

The gaff has a "composting toilet" and please don't tell me what that is; I think I know and I already don't like it.

I'll take a few pics of the event, but rest assured the sanitary arrangements won't figure.
You cannot take it with you in the end, but you will have fond memories of the event.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
“Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess!”

I went from getting a yellow 1/2 field half show dog lab to hunt with, asked my neighbor to help me train it, and ended up with as many as 5 dogs at one time, a chassis mount, loads of training and hunting equipment, and good friends I train with regularly.

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
...so we've booked a "shepherds hut" a coupe of miles out of town for £200. God help us we must be mad.

Could it be what we call an "Outhouse " ?
I have a funny outhouse story from time at the family deer camp in my youth.

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
Cough up Ken, you know you want to.
An appropriate choice of words.....

Larry Reed was a friend of my fathers and would come to our family deer camp in Granville, Vt. He was a heavy set man. Not necessarily fat in the stomach but had a huge ass. The group tendency was calling him buffalo butt. And somehow, accidentally, I changed that to Buffy. And after that everyone called him Buffy.
Buffy was a very heavy drinker. He would swill down a half gallon jug handle of LTD blended whisky in an evening. As teenagers my brother and I speculated what the LTD stood for. I thought life time of drinking and my brother said long term disability. Ether way, Buffy was a happy drunk and nobody seemed to mind.
One morning my brother came running up from the outhouse and shouted "Buffy is stuck in the outhouse and I cannot get him out!" This emptied the camp. As we all scampered across the lawn. We could see legs and butt and nothing more through the open door.
It turns out sometime in the wee hours Buffy staggered to the outhouse. While doing his business he stood up and turned around and barfed down the hole. Loosing his false teeth.
So at first light he went back with the poker from the wood stove. Used it to pry off the seat platform and crawled it to retrieve his teeth. He lost grip and fell in but his large wide ass caught on the two supporting 2x4s and held him. It took four of us. Two on each leg to pull him out. We walked up the lawn to camp laughing and joking. Buffy had managed to grab his teath. He rinsed them off with the hot water on the woodstove. Cracked open a fresh jug of LTD and splashed the teeth. And popped them into his mouth!
Saying "if I went home without my teeth again the ol lady would kill me".
Buffy was alright. He is responsible for the second largest deer I have shot.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts