RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and Spook will be spending the weekend on a buddy's farm training and just having a fun weekend. I'm goin to let him chase a pigeon. I'd also like to shoot some over him. I need to find some pigions near Grove, OK.

I also have a question as to how to shoot a pigeon over him. If I put a pigeon without clipped wings in a field will it just set there until its flushed. Do i need to lock the wings and throw it out, and wait till its gets its wings untangled and let spook go then shoot it. I'm just not sure how to get the pigeon to stay in on spot till I'm ready for it to get flushed.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
If you hold the pigeon in both hands and rotate the pigeon around and around, it will get dizzy and stay in place for a while. You can also put the pigeon in a wire cylinder shaped cage (about 15" in dia and about as high). It will stay until the dog bumps the cage and knocks the cage over, the pigeon runs out and flys. Generally.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much... Still need to find some pigeons near Grove. I won't be going up there till tomorrow evening so If anybody knows where some are in NW Arkansas that will work as well. I'm willing to make a little drive if need be!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'd also like to shoot some over him.

I apologize for the dumb question, but has pup been exposed to gunfire yet?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
From the day I brought him home. We've been shootin the 12 guage over his head for about a month-month and a half. We started with a .22 then .410...now we're on the big boy gun! He's never had a live bird shot over him though. With the downs we've had in our training lately, I'm ganna give him an drive booster and just let him have a weekend filled with birds. That is if I can find some!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Animal? You mean like a buffalo? LOL!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That better? I'm ganna have to learn the lingo or get used to smartarses lol!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Always always always tell pigeon seller that you are trying to start a coup of (insert whatever they are selling here). You are damn sure not going to shoot their beloved bird for a dawg to pick up and bring in.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Always always always tell pigeon seller that you are trying to start a coup of (insert whatever they are selling here). You are damn sure not going to shoot their beloved bird for a dawg to pick up and bring in.
I guess if you have to go back to the same supplier, you must suck at keeping pigeons alive. Buddy of mine has the same two pigeons for last year that he uses for young dogs. Poor pigeons now know what is coming. Needless to say, he didn't shoot his.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I guess if you have to go back to the same supplier, you must suck at keeping pigeons alive. Buddy of mine has the same two pigeons for last year that he uses for young dogs. Poor pigeons now know what is coming. Needless to say, he didn't shoot his.

I guess I suck at it to. By the time I have put a pigeon through a day or two of a puppy, theyre not healthy. Maybe it was the huge puppy leaps as she landed on them. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts