Robert S. Libberton said:
John and Tim are both right, it is broke.
I see more average income young people in H/T, lets face it, most of them are in it for a SH and their out. Most of them have family committments and dont have the time nor money to compete in the White coat game. I'm all for OH events but not at the loss of the Derby.
I think 50 passes @ $65(Avg) per pass is crazy, thats $3250 in entry fees to complete if you passed every test. It would only hurt the game and make the master stake even larger.
My comments are not meant to offend anyone, just an expression of MY opinion.
Not offended at all my man. This is what the forum is about!
Actually, with inflation, that $65 average per test (as opposed to per pass) will probably grow to be $100. So you're talking closer to $4,000 in future dollars. But we're talking about a period covering several years for each dog. And those people who love to go to the weekend tests and keep their dog well trained will be in line of a lifetime achievement award.
If you think 50 passes is crazy, make it 30 passes. Hell, make it 20 passes. I don't care! But you do want to make sure that the MHX becomes a lifetime achievement. Otherwise, well ... what's the point?
Now, all those average income young people your seeing in H/Ts? The people who have family committments and dont have the time nor money to compete in the White coat game? Let's call'm regular HT Joes. And they're important, cause they're our workers and organizers, and future HT Judges.
But, recognize that the MN is forcing regular HT Joe's to place their dogs with PRO's. If you have an MNX title available only to those dogs that go to the MN -- you'll compel even more HT Joe's to place their dogs with PRO's.
So @ current Pro fees of $700 per month (which may/may not include birds), and your dog staying a a truck 7-10 months per year, for probalby 2-3 years --- why that's $9800-$21,000 in today's monies to train your pup to run it's first AKC master's test, and then , another $9800-$14,000 to eventually qualify for the MN!
Remember, Robert, I'm talking up to $42,000 in todays $$$. Add inflation into that mix and you gotta a whole lot of crazy!
And if you have a MNX title going to only dogs at the MN ... And only 20% of dogs qualify at the MN (that's what the AKC wants to see). Well, that means the other 80% of the dogs at the MN have to stay on a PRO's truck another year to get that MNX -- maybe another 2 years.
So, let's see $4000 paid out over 5-9 years for my suggested MHX title vs. $42,000 paid out over 3-5 year period for the MN MHX. Now that's really crazy.
No wonder the average Joe's bailing out of the game after the SH!