RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a wish list from you guys. If you had permission to train on any California state wildlife area, which one would you choose?

DFG is considering expanding the list of designated training area from the 14 in the proposed new language, so I need to know what areas are currently being used, and, more importantly, ones that are not being used that we would like to have access too.

You can find the full list of state wildlife areas at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/index.html

I will be discussing this with DFG this Thursday, so a prompt response would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

Florence

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
a few months ago I waited on a young man who was stationed at Vandenburg AFB, when I mentioned that they used to run field trials there (even hosted a National way back when) he informed me that his job was clearing all the used ordnance from that area in the hopes of opening it back up to the public on a limited basis....He said the ponds are still there...don't know if those grounds come under the auspices of the commission but that would be a boost to the SoCal games to have access to that area again

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Although I haven't seen it, I'd be for San Felipe Valley just because of the location.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
a few months ago I waited on a young man who was stationed at Vandenburg AFB, when I mentioned that they used to run field trials there (even hosted a National way back when) he informed me that his job was clearing all the used ordnance from that area in the hopes of opening it back up to the public on a limited basis....He said the ponds are still there...don't know if those grounds come under the auspices of the commission but that would be a boost to the SoCal games to have access to that area again
Now if you could just get them to clean up all the ticks that were there. Remember some fun tests, but the number of ticks sure stands out in the memory.
T. Mac

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The rattle sankes were plentiful as well. They put on a great barbecue. That is where I ran my first ever Q.

·
Registered
768 Posts
​Thank-you Florence. We used to use Fort Ord and/or the BLM land right near there. Would love to be to use the areas in north Monterey County.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Would love to be able to train in just a few of the ponds (like the front few) at San Jacinto like 4 months of the year (June-Sept). Or have a few ponds built in the training area. The DFG allowing us to hold a HT/FT there is great but without any water at all it makes it kinda hard.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
​Thank-you Florence. We used to use Fort Ord and/or the BLM land right near there. Would love to be to use the areas in north Monterey County.
Boy, if I lived in that neck of the woods again dog training might take a back seat to surfing Steamers Lane and soaking in the baths overlooking the ocean at Esalen. lol

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
the Bayonet Course at Fort Ord might have been as tough as Pebble or Spyglass.....and a whole lot le$$ to play it too...it would have made a great dog training area too

·
Registered
768 Posts
Bon, Michael has gotten a few guys through Q school out there at Bayonette. It's a very good course. There is a lot of acreage the military and state still own out there without the ocean view.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Bon, Michael has gotten a few guys through Q school out there at Bayonette. It's a very good course. There is a lot of acreage the military and state still own out there without the ocean view.
my guys didnt make the cut when I caddied for them, guess I didnt have enough local knowledge...but considering I could barely break 80 there even when I was a single digit handicap, they might have had the wrong guy on the bag(me)...one of my favorite places

·
Registered
585 Posts
Many years ago Nancy Lawry and I were able, with the help of a military officer who owned goldens, to obtain Fort Ord as grounds for the Sagehen's trial. It was a beautiful place with some really nice ponds and lots of usable ground. The trial was held at the same time as the races over the hill at Laguna Seca so folks would run their dogs then climb to the top of the hill & watch the races for a while. The Army was very gracious and we had access to their RV park and BBQ/picnic area, said we could have a trap shoot if we wanted and even gave Buck Miller (birdman) a place where he could dispose of the birds. I hired one of the Mexican food trucks that went into our fields, brought them over and they sold out every day.
I remember Nancy and I went to lunch afterward looking at the areas and spent most of the time picking ticks off ourselves--sheesh, they were everywhere! We used the area for a couple of years, but a drought all but dried up all the ponds so we had to find other grounds. Eventually the base was closed.....but it was a great place to have a trial while it lasted.
SuzanneB

·
Registered
612 Posts
San Jacinto

Would love to be able to train in just a few of the ponds (like the front few) at San Jacinto like 4 months of the year (June-Sept). Or have a few ponds built in the training area. The DFG allowing us to hold a HT/FT there is great but without any water at all it makes it kinda hard.
SPOT ON Kelly!

Imagine the opportunity if we were allowed access to the San Jacinto Wildlife area! The southern California residents would have a choice on where they could train and both areas would have very good water.

San J. in my humble opinion could have something to offer everyone.

Thanks for giving us a chance to voice our opinion Russ.

Regards

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Would appreciate it if you'd mention Lake Earl Wildlife Area and Elk Creek Wildlife Area in Del Norte County in the far northwestern corner.

Thanks!
Jennifer Henion

·
Registered
377 Posts
Definitely San Jacinto ponds, not just the front fields. I'd like to be able to run hunt tests there, too.

And Hollenbeck.

In reality, I think that ALL of them should be open to dog training. I don't think DFG would incur any extra cost by opening it up, and in fact, the fees charged for using them might increase revenue to the state.

It's not on the list, but I'd also like to be able to train at Rancho Jamul (on the West side, where they have the junior pheasant hunts).

While we're throwing in military bases (not that the State controls them), I'd like to see Camp Pendleton opened up- I understand there used to be trials there, as well. And Fort Hunter Liggett. I heard that Hills Ferry might not be able to have tests at Camp Roberts anymore, but I might be mistaken about that.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Sacramento and Delevan. Both in No.Sac Valley area. Beautiful and not available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have looked at the DFG website and haven't found a list of approved training areas on CA Wildlife areas. If a wish list was submitted, it would be nice to have access to Yolo Wildlife Area due to it's proximity to Sacramento.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The list is not on the DFG website, it is in the proposed regulations for DFG lands on the Fish & Game Commission website, at http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/2011/551regs2.pdf. Scroll down to page 38, and you will see the new language that specifically prohibits dog training and dog trials on all wildlife areas that are not listed there.

Yolo Bypass is one of the 14 on the list.

Florence

·
Registered
494 Posts
How about a proposal to just leave everyone alone and let people train on the grounds they have already designated for dog training. Grey Lodge Wildlife area and Oroville Wildlife area are desiginated areas for training. The head of those areas is such a hard a## that nobody wants to deal with him. He acts like it's his own personal property. He keeps coming up with different do's and don'ts that it is almost impossible to train at Grey Lodge. Oroville is about in the same boat. He is not very trainer friendly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts