RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a trip in a few weeks along the 15 through Utah, Idaho and Montana got me thinking about my best places to air the dogs on the trip. I've got my favorite spots along the way I've found through trial and error. Best spots seem to be Ranch Exits and a reservoir if you can find one. Certainly better than a Walmart parking lot.

What are you secrets of the road? Favorite spots to air on a long drive? (If you don't mind sharing)

I'll go first... Malad City in Idaho has a Reservoir outside of town and a first rate BBQ shack in town.

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
If your traveling the Interstate you have usually just passed a good place to air and the next exit is 5 miles ahead. We usually try Rest Areas but airing on a leash sucks. Back roads are easier. Find a section road and turn right.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rest areas I try and avoid at all costs. As for the side roads I have found some good spots but prefer someplace wide open. The hunt continues

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
not too sure where you are picking up IH 15 thru Utah but the Lee Kay Training Center is only a short detour off the interstate...a lot of people air their dogs in an area just before the shooting range on the right just off the access road...

as you go up through Idaho near Pocatello there are numerous spots, there is also the Camas National Wildlife Refuge just north of Idaho Falls, and then the Twin Bridges/Dillon area near the FT grounds...there is a restaurant in Dillon, I think its called the Lion's Den, good solid food, cheap, and they have some awesome mounts of fish and big game taken in the area

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I start heading North from Southern California.

MM 100 in Utah is a Ranch Exit with some wide open spaces I like to use.
Lee Kay looks good as does the Willard Bay spot. I was stopping in Honeyville North of Brigham City as there is a big fenced park close to the freeway.
I often stop in Pocatello and stay at the Rodeway there as it is dog friendly and a good sandwich place next door. I'll have to check out more of the area there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sams Clubs for some reason lots of times have huge grassy undeveloped areas near them, and usually near intrstate exits. I'll air 5 times on my way to Wi next week. 4 behind sams clubs, 1 behind a wal mart. i have them all circled on my atlas. I use the same ones going both ways. Granted, not sure how many there are on your route.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I like to use sports complex areas or schools. Most have grass spots away from traffic where the dogs can stretch their legs and most park workers are very friendly as long as you're not letting the dogs do their business on the baseball fields.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Saw today a Trial scheduled August 3rd near Evanston WY while I'm on the road. Looks like a good diversion on the way to see the big boys play.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Not sure how well this would work out west (I live in VA), but if I'm driving on a longish road trip I pick an exit off the interstate that only has one gas station, not lots of them and lots of restaurants/hotels. One gas station is usually a one-horse town, if it's even in a town at all, more likely an unpopulated crossroads and the gas station is off by itself with vacant land all around it and almost always has great places to air and let dogs run around off lead. Plus if you're miles from any big city any people you see are usually country people, not city types that assume you're going to sic an attack dog on them and/or rob them! If I do have to stop in a city I find a school on weekends and a church on weekdays. At those places unless they have a lot of land, I try to clean up after the dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts