RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted a 9 month old male black lab and I want to train him to be a hunting retriever.

He has great retrieving instincts, on land and in the water. He retrieves his duck-scented bumpers and brings them straight back, even in the dark. Hes not phased by firework or gun fire. He knows basic commands: sit, down, here, bring, we are working on hold, but he just doesnt seem to get it.

I have only found one local trainer,and hes moving out of state next month.
I honestly dont care if your a trainer or just doing this for fun, but if you have trained and finished a hunting lab id like some tips or maybe even meet up with someone to give me some hands on tips.
I am located in
Southern California in the San Bernardino mountains, but Im willing to go out to Prado dog training park or anywhere else about that distance.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Check also with your local retriever clubs and go to PRTA's web-site. That's a start.

Angie

·
Registered
613 Posts
I would suggest attending an Inland Valley Retriever Club training day at Prado. Some pros work with the club on those days and it is a chance to meet them and other retriever enthusiasts. http://www.inlandvalleyretrieverclub.com/contact.html
Excellent advice Russ,

PhiliciaP, The inland valley retriever club currently meets the first Saturday of every month. But you don't have to wait until next month to meet people. I would suggest you load your pup up and head down to Prado early on a Saturday morning. Your sure to see a training group or two, introduce yourself and ask them if they would mind if you sat back and watched. You'll find that most people in the dog world are very open to introducing new people into the sport.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I may be able to help. Feel free to call me at 904-525-3590.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts