RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I are thinking retirement and think the idea of being snowbirds isn't bad.
He lives where it was 40 below this winter for three weeks straight. Where I live it only get to 20 below for a couple of days.
If you were us and tired of being cold and wanted to be warm for several months each year _ say January to May _ as we grow:rolleyes: old gracefully, and wanted to get in a little bird hunting, where would you buy land?

·
Registered
351 Posts
California

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Snowbirds to an Alaskan is rain in Washington....

·
Registered
946 Posts
California dove season is September, waterfowl season is usually 3rd weekend of October to last weekend of January. I have heard that they have white stuff that falls out of the sky in Alaska during the winter, but not sure if it really is true. Southern California resident regards

·
Registered
317 Posts
Depends. You being from Alaska warm is different for you than someone from texas;)

My brother lives on Hudson bay. When he comes to southern ontario for Christmas he wears sweat shirts. While we have out heaviest parkas on. Then when he comes home in the summer he and his family are uncomfortable( kids irritable thank god cottage is on lake ) because of the heat.

I guess back to my original question. How warm is warm to you ??

·
Registered
994 Posts
You can buy my place in the Florida Pan Handle. Some of the worlds best uncrowded beaches, great fishing and sea food.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Mississippi - near most hunt tests - great hunting and fishing and land prices are great. You will only need to bring summer clothes

Ya'll come on down, you hear. Bless your heart, sugar.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
most bird seasons are done between Jan-May, the exception being spring turkey season,or conservation snow goose season, maybe late quail season

I would also think the Bryan- College Station area, but that land isnt cheap any longer...so for cost per acre I would look hard at southern Oklahoma or possibly Missouri

·
Registered
680 Posts
Somewhere around Demopolis, AL.

Weather is normally good during that time of the year. Close enough to the flyway that a weekend in Arkansas or Mississippi to kill a few ducks isn't out of the question.

Access to some great training groups and grounds on the Forever Wild properties. Field trials and hunt tests every weekend within very reasonable distances.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I remember Howard complaining how cold 50+ degrees was when he trained at Lost Hills, CA one winter. I guess Alaskans can adjust to the warmer weather over a short time.

I would recommend the desert of SoCal. Plenty of sunny days and very little rain. Lots of Canadians have elected to live there those months and there are quite a few trials.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I would recommend the desert of SoCal. Plenty of sunny days and very little rain. Lots of Canadians have elected to live their those months and there are quite a few trials.
A handful of active trialers from the Northwest and at least two pro trainers from OR and WA have chosen Niland, CA, to spend the winter to train and to trial. It's become a mecca -- like Ronan, MT, is for a handful of Californians who now go there to live, train and trial May - August/Sept.

Helen

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Actually, there are several field trial pros that train near Niland in the winter including Patti Kiernan, Don Remein, John Henniger, Amie Duke, Jim Gonia and Mike Taylor. Others pass through for a week or two between trials. There are also dozens of amateurs spending time there. Many of them hail from Canada.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Texas!!!
Anywhere west/north/northwest of the intersection of U.S. I-45/75 and State Hwy 105. North, up to the Red River. West out to the rocks. Great dog training terrain!!! Pretty tough competition too---LOL.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ok Mary,
Since we both just got back from Texas and could have stayed there longer, why not Texas!!
Remember that 180 acres we saw in Maypearl? What do you think?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts