• Avid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Home Again

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
Dr. Ed's clinic has been using Home Again chips since they were introduced, AVID did a very poor job of marketing to veterinarians, I would not even know where to order AVID chips or a reader

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Anthony Heath said:
Didn't vote.

I have Avid in 1 dog and HA in the other.
Me too

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
5 dogs, 5 avid chips

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Howard N said:
Anthony Heath said:
Didn't vote.

I have Avid in 1 dog and HA in the other.
Me too
Me three

My vet implanted the HA and the breeder of the other dog had the Avid implanted.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i read an article today in my vets office, not sure the name of the paper, (aug issue) that congress is going to require all id chips have the same frequency so that all will have same scanner or whatever is used to id dog.
bird bob

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bobbyb said:
i read an article today in my vets office, not sure the name of the paper, (aug issue) that congress is going to require all id chips have the same frequency so that all will have same scanner or whatever is used to id dog.
bird bob
:shock: NO WAY! That would make wayyy to much sense :wink:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I voted other because I have 2 Home Again and 1 Avid. The 2 Home Again were purchased as pups on the East coast and had been chipped as pups before I got them. The Aivd dog was chipped here in Ca as an adult dog.

·
Administrator
3,873 Posts
I have microchipped all of my own dogs and my litters. Have been using Home Again for 10+ years.

Home Again - 17 dogs (some now deceased); 23 pups (before going to their new homes)

Avid - 1 dog.....was already chipped when I got him.

Vicky

·
Registered
68 Posts
I started using Avid for all my dogs. Purchased my own chip scanner at a reasonable cost. I believe Avid sells a "universal scanner" that can scan all makes, but it was a lot more money.

Been happy with the results - implanting and scanning. In Oregon I've been told that many vets and animal control facilities have the "universal" scanners.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have one international Avid, One US Avid, and one Home Again.

Home Again and the International Avid are both 10 digit identification chips and are ISO 11785 compatible (an international Standard) and acceptable for identifiction when travelling outside of the USA.

The regular US avid is only a 9 digit number and does not meet ISO 11785, is not valid for International Travel (unless you provide your own scanner), and cannot be read by a home again scanner.

The international Avid is available in the USA but it has to be specially ordered. It can be read by Home Again readers.

Why Avid doesn't go to one chip that is compatible, and persists in marketing the US chip in America only baffles me.

Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mark said:
I have one international Avid, One US Avid, and one Home Again.

Home Again and the International Avid are both 10 digit identification chips and are ISO 11785 compatible (an international Standard) and acceptable for identifiction when travelling outside of the USA.

The regular US avid is only a 9 digit number and does not meet ISO 11785, is not valid for International Travel (unless you provide your own scanner), and cannot be read by a home again scanner.

The international Avid is available in the USA but it has to be specially ordered. It can be read by Home Again readers.

Why Avid doesn't go to one chip that is compatible, and persists in marketing the US chip in America only baffles me.

Mark
Hi Mark, I just want to clarify something because it really confused me when I started looking up info on chips. You are right, the HomeAgain and AVID EuroChip meet ISO 11785 (aka FDX-A). They are still 125 kHz chips and are not the same as the 134.2 Khz ISO (FDX-B) chips used by Europe, Asia and Australia, and recently adopted in Canada.

Latisha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts