RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Which is a better test?

  • AKC

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UKC

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Im Straddling the fence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the thread about the AKC judge that failed a dog at a JH test got me thinking.

There are some vast differences between an AKC test and a UKC test. Some folks here stay strictly with one or the other, and several folks run both.

Now heres the million dollar question - which is a better or tougher test? Both of these tests bring out the qualities of our dogs, but seem to use a different set of standards as to what should be accomplished at any given level in order to obtain a nice pretty ribbon and a title. Please share your thoughts.

-Ditch Doc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,545 Posts
One would think that this particular equine has been sufficiently pummeled.

Bubba
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,637 Posts
Bubba said:
One would think that this particular equine has been sufficiently pummeled.

Bubba
Yupper... ...rendering plant material.
The best game is whichever one you plunk down your entry fee to run your dog in.
M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
DD,
this topic has been beat to death on this and other forums and a quick use of the search feature will provide hours of reading pleasure on your poll topic. There are some very good threads and some band width waste; basically the gamut from name calling and one trashing the other, to very good ones explaining why they are different.

All the dog games are fun and serve a purpose; the betterment of the hunting retriever. Your choice will depend on what's most readily available in your area and what most of your friends and training buddies do. They're all good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This wasnt posted to start a nasty debate, I just wanted to hear different opinions on the subject.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,871 Posts
The_Ditch_Doctor said:
This wasnt posted to start a nasty debate, I just wanted to hear different opinions on the subject.
While it can be noted that you are fairly new to RTF from your "join" date, you've picked a topic that has been discussed at length on the forum.

One thing that might be helpful to you as a "newbie" would be to read some of the many, many pages of back topics. Not only will that answer many of your questions about what has been discussed on RTF, it will also give you an opportunity to get a feel for the different people who post on RTF.

On that note, how about telling us a little about yourself and your dog(s)? :)

Vicky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Shayne Mehringer said:
Bubba said:
One would think that this particular equine has been sufficiently pummeled.

Bubba
Yes it has... AND not to mention, we've already beat the crap out of this dead horse too.

Shayne
Oh Shayne,

You must miss Texas and big words! :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
The_Ditch_Doctor said:
Now heres the million dollar question - which is a better or tougher test? Both of these tests bring out the qualities of our dogs, but seem to use a different set of standards as to what should be accomplished at any given level in order to obtain a nice pretty ribbon and a title. Please share your thoughts.

Note that "tougher" does not mean "better".

For one test to be "better" than the other, there would have to be something of tangibly higher quality in one test that the other lacked

-or-

something would have to be tangibly missing from one test.

Neither have anything missing, nor does one have anything tangible that the other does not.

They are different, but neither is better than the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
I don't know which of those 2 is better, as I have only run UKC, but I know that Nahra is the best!!!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,074 Posts
Or, should we add, which venue is more "hunting realistic"?
Or can we add, which venue started out as a "hunt test" and wound up being a "mini field trial"?

How can any of us expect a HT pro trained dog to be compared to an amataur trained (read, a working person, with a home to maintain, kids to take to school and outside activities, working late and working weekends)
dog. It has been done and will be again, but the pro trained dog will always fair better, 99% of the time.

As I recall, when NAHRA first got started in the 80's, the under laying goal was to have a better hunting dog. All venues have certainly done that.

Where will it end?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,234 Posts
CNBarnes said:
Neither have anything missing, nor does one have anything tangible that the other does not.
I don't know if I agree with that. My experience is that generally speaking AKC tests are more concept-oriented (aka. "abstract"), while HRC is more praxis-oriented (aka. "practical"). To AKC's credit, the dog's learn to think harder. To HRC's credit, the dog's learn to mark off a gun, and become more familiar with the trappings associated with hunting. Which makes for a better hunting retriever? I would say they are equal, although the testing approach is different.

Give me the dog that does both well.

They are different, but neither is better than the other.
I agree. As the well-worn phrase goes -- "apples and oranges."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Oooh! No! Here we go again... I agree with Angie!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
There both great games that we can play & have a blast doing it.To me Masters is more like a mini Qual w/o the whitecoat,& it's no secret that FT's aren't realistic hunting sitiuations.I prefer UKC just on atmosphere, & the test always requires you handle a shotgun with poppers,& actually where hunting clothes"CAMO". Just doesn't get anymore realistic than handling a shotgun out of a blind,boat or sitting on a dove bucket. "WHO DUCK HUNTS WITH A UNLOADED SINGLE SHOT ANYWAY?" Just my 2 cents....Steven KY

Wesley,who's the Greyhound in that TIGER outfit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
Vicky Trainor said:
The_Ditch_Doctor said:
This wasnt posted to start a nasty debate, I just wanted to hear different opinions on the subject.
While it can be noted that you are fairly new to RTF from your "join" date, you've picked a topic that has been discussed at length on the forum.

One thing that might be helpful to you as a "newbie" would be to read some of the many, many pages of back topics. Not only will that answer many of your questions about what has been discussed on RTF, it will also give you an opportunity to get a feel for the different people who post on RTF.

On that note, how about telling us a little about yourself and your dog(s)? :)

Vicky
Yes ditch doctor tell us a little about your self and your dogs,where are u from?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top