Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Female's dam and sire are titled

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If all other things were equal and the Dam does not have any titles herself would you by a pup from a female who had produced a pup that has won titles its self, or a female who's sire and dam had titles.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
We bought our last pup out of a good repeat breeding and are happy so far. Time will tell.

Russ

G

·
What do you consider titles? JH...FC?

What are your goals?

How were pups from her first litter placed? Only one placed in a working home and it titled vs all placed in working homes and all but one washed out?

More info please!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Sometimes bitches don't get titles for a variety of good reasons. Ditto for their pups.

What I look for is a bitch from a family of generally good producers. The more front-loaded her pedigree is with solid producers, the better your odds. If the bitch herself also has titles, or is making good progress, that is a plus.

Lisa

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
A bitch with titles preferred, even better if bitch has calm demeanor while not working & at the line. That said, the dam's personality with or without titles should be a major consideration in pup selection, IMHO.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Whether the dam is titled or not my preference would be dam who has at least 2 FC titled siblings and they produced dogs on the derby list or better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dam

Kip - I think that is way to generalized. Lets take the bitch # 38 from the WRC. A year ago she did not have any titles. Not sure if she had produced any off-spring with titles. On top of that, her dam had no titles. However a little more digging shows her dam and sire were produced by direct decendents of Trumarc's Ziparoo. In fact both the dam and sire share teh bottom line of their pedigree. Would you still keep your money in your pocket? Or would there be enough FC/NAFC's listed to pick your interest in a pup?

Sires get all the credit. However, dams seem to have more influence. Pick a Dam with a good background, regardless of her being titled or not.

Just a newbies opinion, but this same question comes up often in the pointing dog world too.

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not looking at buying a pup just wondering what others thought. I have seen a lot of dogs that had great breeding but they didn't reproduce very well. That's why for me I would rather see that the female can reproduce something? Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have to dogs from titled parents HRCH's and GRHRCH's and one who's parents aren't, but are working parents on a pheasant farm. I believe that working parents will produce a more consistent working pup rather than being from house pets not to say you can't get a good pup that hunts or works, But a good pedigree (titles) sure helps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you take dog #38 from the WRC, you would see that H/T titles are irrevelant becasue she was trained with A/A work in mind She is QAA. A call to the owner and you would see that she is a well bred/ trained AA Dam of a previos litter, and would find out who the pups are with to see if she threw anything worth looking at.

This part of the game is really important, you should expect to see that the Dam is trained to a MH standard or AA stakes before committing a dime to pup, dog #38's previos litter to a FC sold for $600 each, that tells you a good deal can be found!, one of her pups is with a H/T trainer and shows a great deal of go and trainability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts