RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been getting pictures of the litter i'm picking from and of the 4 males i think i've got it about figured out on all their personalities. one is the alpha male (blue collar), 2 are kind of curious george's/followers (white, green collar) and one is skiddish or shy (orange collar).

now i could be wrong when i actually get there on saturday and i'm sure the breeder will inform me what he thinks best for my needs. but just curious what each personality will translate to in trainnig, hunting, and running tests.

what i want in a dog is a solid meat/hunting dog. i'd love to run trials but if he's (or me) not capable to go past started or seasoned i'm fine with that. i will be training by myself (planning on joining a HRC) and this is my first dog.

also i have the 3rd pick so it's gonna be down to one or the other so maybe a rating system would be best? that way if its down to this or this i have a clear cut choice.

the wife has kind of been non-chalant up till now when we got the last pics and she is pretty excited i knew she'd come around. i on the other hand feel like a kid waiting in line to get into disney world

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I have felt that the dog that follows the alpha is a good bet...he is used to having a leader and that will transfer to his owner quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got an alpha male. When it came time to pick him out I didn't consider very much about selection. The breeder tossed a bird in the pin and we watched the reaction. I put a mark on the pup that got to the bird first. Then we took the bird out and I played with a few pups. The bird was then brought back and tossed in the pin. The same pup got to the bird first. I said, I want that one. In hind sight maybe I should have put a little more thought into personality.
I have a good dog, he's qualified and last year was number 8 in Canada. But, he can be stubborn. I think I might have preferred a little less alpha just for trainability. Im sure that all the pups from that litter would be just as successfull with the same training. My next dog will probably be more of the middle personality. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have felt that the dog that follows the alpha is a good bet...he is used to having a leader and that will transfer to his owner quickly.
I agree, especially if it's your first dog and especially if you are so excited. You probably don't want the leader, he may figure out how to wrap you around his little toe before you know it. A middle of the road follower, but not shy pup is what I like. Once home, those middle pups can develop into strong personalities, too, however.

I'm so excited for you! Have fun picking! you may find that with all of your mental preparation and science of picking that it all goes out the window once you're there and the pup picks you and you can't say no.

Have fun!!

Jennifer

P.S. Just saw Wylecoyote's post and that's right-on. Great Post! I had a similar experience a couple years ago.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just spend as much time as you need watching them together and with their litter mates. I like a pup who is on the bold side and certainly confident. The curious ones are good.....I like the pup who isn't hesitant to investigate. With all that being said, it's still a roll of the dice. In reality, your chances of getting the "best" pup is the same as spending hours with the pups or just closing your eyes and grabbing one. Just look for a happy, healthy little guy! Good luck

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
blake,
for a first time trainer, treat it like a diving score. i.e. throw out the high(alpha), throw out the low(shy) and take one out of the middle. i recall your breeding and desire will likely not be a problem if you get one of the two in the middle of the pack.

now, if the two you and the breeder judge to be the middle of the pack pups are chosen first and you are left a pick between the "charger" and the "wall flower".......go for the "heater"! imho your risks are lower as a first time trainer managing high style vs. trying to develop desire. rely on the breeder's assessment he or she knows 8 weeks of personality you get an hour!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Like the parents?

Reach down, grab one, take it home, love, and TRAIN. You really can't tell much at this age. They change in a new environment.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like the work ethic of a blue collar dog. He may be a good choice. The white collar dog may be smart but afraid roll up its sleeves to get down to business. The orange collared critter could work if he wasn't so shy. I'd go green collar...especially if it is hunter green. He'd blend in better in the blind.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
i've been getting pictures of the litter i'm picking from and of the 4 males i think i've got it about figured out on all their personalities. one is the alpha male (blue collar), 2 are kind of curious george's/followers (white, green collar) and one is skiddish or shy (orange collar).

now i could be wrong when i actually get there on saturday and i'm sure the breeder will inform me what he thinks best for my needs. but just curious what each personality will translate to in trainnig, hunting, and running tests.

what i want in a dog is a solid meat/hunting dog. i'd love to run trials but if he's (or me) not capable to go past started or seasoned i'm fine with that. i will be training by myself (planning on joining a HRC) and this is my first dog.

also i have the 3rd pick so it's gonna be down to one or the other so maybe a rating system would be best? that way if its down to this or this i have a clear cut choice.

the wife has kind of been non-chalant up till now when we got the last pics and she is pretty excited i knew she'd come around. i on the other hand feel like a kid waiting in line to get into disney world
This is a long term situation.
What do you think will work for you? You are the one who will make a choice based on your experience....Be honest and make that choice. It will only be fair to you and the dog and family. Let theBreeder help you... You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We had a couple and their son come to pick out their puppy from a litter a couple of years ago. The husband had his heart set on one particular puppy. The wife picked up a different puppy and it licked her in the mouth. And the son just wanted a puppy. As usual, the wife won out and the husband was tore up. He called multiple times over the next couple of days and was distraught. At 7 weeks they took the wife's choice home much to his dismay. A year later this has turned out to be the perfect family dog for them and a wonderful gun dog to boot. That's about as scientific of a selection process as you need to employ. What you do in the first six months will be the difference maker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts