RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this will sound like a loaded QT. I have a 6month oldBLM. and have been through the hillman dvd. Pup is doing very well. I want to move on and need advice on the Lardy or smartworks program This is my first time training for hunt tests and hunting I have had other labs but want to do it right this time .. Its not about what costs what but what works you get what you pay for . Folks that have used both or either I'd like to hear from you I have the time to send with the pup this time just need direction Thanx so much DWG

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've followed my own mix of training methods, but I've recently bought Smartworks and I like it as a sequential program.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You may want to do a search. There are a number of threads which offer opinions of the various training programs. I've found them helpful.

Personally, I love any program with a DVD. It is so hard for our pup to read from a manual but she loves watching DVDs. I just wish I knew how many times she's supposed to watch Sound Beginnings before she moves on to another program.

I'm going track down that training program with a pole. I've heard good things about it. I just hope it doesn't involve her spinning around the thing. I'm tired of tying knots in that bandana to hold it in place as it is. I feel like a boy scout with all these knots. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
THIS ONE! or that one is good too. Don't forget to check out the other one too!

Sorry couldn't resist but that's how the battle seems to happen in my mind lol

I'm doing Hillmann Puppy too, but am seriously considering going to Farmer/Aycock for his Basics afterwards. I like what Hillmann does with pups, and but also like what Farmer/Aycock or known for when it comes to the all important Foundation of training and getting it right.

If I get those training evolutions(Puppy > Formal/OB>CC/FF and the beginnings of Handling) down correctly, I can move on to Advanced Handling from pretty much anyone. To include Hillmanns recent Blog of complete Handling videos.

So that's my plan. ;-)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Fowl Dawgs with Rick Stawski. All you need as far as dvd's A good training group will be a big help also.

Good luck

·
Registered
227 Posts
You may want to do a search. There are a number of threads which offer opinions of the various training programs. I've found them helpful.

Personally, I love any program with a DVD. It is so hard for our pup to read from a manual but she loves watching DVDs. I just wish I knew how many times she's supposed to watch Sound Beginnings before she moves on to another program.

I'm going track down that training program with a pole. I've heard good things about it. I just hope it doesn't involve her spinning around the thing. I'm tired of tying knots in that bandana to hold it in place as it is. I feel like a boy scout with all these knots. :rolleyes:

Awesome post!

·
Registered
412 Posts
"Personally, I love any program with a DVD. It is so hard for our pup to read from a manual but she loves watching DVDs. I just wish I knew how many times she's supposed to watch Sound Beginnings before she moves on to another program.".......LOL priceless

I like the Smartwork program, DVD's and easy to follow manuals.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Lardy. Go buy Total Retriever Training and Total Retriever Marking and never look back.

Good luck with your pup.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Ford or Chevy? It's that kind of argument. It's been debated on RTF frequently so you can search down the threads, but to save you some time,
Smartworks is a bit better for the newbie, Lardy is a bit more technical, but you can't go wrong with either one. If its difficult for you to chose, then flip a coin.

·
Registered
469 Posts
A good training group is priceless, just hard to find in some areas.

I am using Evan Graham's SW program for my first time training a lab for hunting and hunt tests. What is really good about his program is that if you have any questions, he will answer your questions via email, private messages or forum posts. You can find numerous posts on this forum by him along with links to video clips.

I have also picked up Dave Rorem's handling DVD. I have found that at hunt tests, it's as much about you and your ability to read and handle your dog at the appropriate time as it is about your dog doing the right thing.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
A good training group is priceless, just hard to find in some areas.

Not to mention that someone who is new to the game won't be able to tell a good training group from a bad one until its too late.

...I have also picked up Dave Rorem's handling DVD. I have found that at hunt tests, it's as much about you and your ability to read and handle your dog at the appropriate time as it is about your dog doing the right thing.
I also like this DVD. But it is a handling DVD and not a training program.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I looked a bit into both of the Lardy and Smartworks programs but find it hard to pinpoint any major conceptual differences. Sure, some things are a bit different, and Smartworks has some setups that TRT doesn't have, but my feeling is one could more or less switch between programs at any time. I would be interested to hear other views on this.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have both, started out with the SW program and went to Lardy. I feel that TRT system fits me and my dog better, I just didnt care for the SW program seems too much pressure oriented. Essentially they seem the same with SW adding a few extras but as a presenter I can listen to Lardy all day and with all the reads in VOL 1,2,3 , total EC and TRM really makes a complete package for me

Stawski has a good deal for DVD's and does show dogs starting out as well but can get a little dry at times

but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I looked a bit into both of the Lardy and Smartworks programs but find it hard to pinpoint any major conceptual differences. Sure, some things are a bit different, and Smartworks has some setups that TRT doesn't have, but my feeling is one could more or less switch between programs at any time. I would be interested to hear other views on this.
I don't think you can just switch between the programs at any time. One difference that comes to mind is CC to here. SW uses continuous pressure with restraint of the dog while commanding, here. You don't see this use of continuous pressure in Lardy's CC. With Lardy everything is a nick (nick meaning that you press and release rather than hold the button until you get compliance). I'm sure there are other differences. Not saying that you won't end up with a quality dog with eaither program, but I really believe the mixing of programs is something best left to the very experienced trainers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts