RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am using a SportDOG Mega Roy Gonia Orange & Black Special Whistle for the last 3 years and starting to not like it cause the pea with stick from the cold or from spit and I'm sick of it, and now I'm looking at either the Pat Burns PB100 "Green Monster" Whistle,or the SportDOG Roy Gonia Mega Pealess Clear Special Whistle, which one do you have or would you choose and why? I hunt water fowl and upland and run hunt test, I know people say that the green monster has some weight to it but I'm not worried about weight I want something I can trust to work eveytime. thanks for the info and advice!

·
Registered
617 Posts
I really like The Answer. Orange mega phone that is pealess. Works well at pretty much any distance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a double whistle lanyard and one whistle is a fox 40 classic, but I want to change the second one!

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
I have a double whistle lanyard and one whistle is a fox 40 classic, but I want to change the second one!

"The Answer" is a nice choice for a pealess, all weather whistle.

"The Dallessassee, or the Green Monster" are good choices also. Some feel that those whistles take more air.

I've tried all three and personally prefer the Dallessassee.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Acme 211 1/2

·
Registered
581 Posts
Green monster

·
Registered
227 Posts
Fox 40 Classic, always in my pocket, its all chewed up and cracked. Im about due for a new whistle so this thread is interesting to me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dual whistled. A Gonia Clear Comp with pea and a Clear Black Mega Whistle without a pea.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
People need to go sit by the blind stake while others are running their dogs and see the volume of the whistle. You will realize the dog can hear you, because they can hear over 20 times better than us. It the distance, and the dog is feeling they are more in control, is causing them to blow you off. The old Gonia special or pea-less special is plenty for 200 yards and under. Then maybe the Mega if there is a lot of wind.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My choice is the orange, pealess, mega whistle. All of the sound is projected forward.
Whistles like the fox 40 are really more for referreeing sporting events. They are designed to project sound 360 degrees, thats why it hurts your ears.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I use a custom made whistle - a windstorm whistle fitted into a megawhistle shroud.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I only use a couple of whistles: the pea-less orange mega and the acme 211 1/2. The first is more than enough for hunt tests and the second is small, light, easy to blow and easy on the ears. I start young dogs on the acme and have reached the point that I use it almost exclusively. The tones are similar and my dogs answer to either one. About the only time I use the bigger whistle any more is when I'm training LONG, in high winds or running Master tests.
I hate being around anyone using a Monster or a Fox 40. Both are too loud for me.
I'm always amused at those folks who walk to the line of a hunt test with their "rain gage" whistle. I don't understand why they subject themselves, their dogs and the people around them to that.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Fox 40's are really designed for sports and project the sound around versus forward which you want for your dog.

I have heard that judges aren't thrilled with handlers who use Fox 40's .... hurts their ears too! :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I think the potential for hearing loss is greater with whistles than gunfire.

People know that guns are loud so they wear earplugs, not so with whistles.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I use the mega whistles. With and without peas. If your running hunt tests, there is no need to use the green monster or dallahousse whistles. Mega without pea works just fine in wind at ht.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts