RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love hearing their sound at night. How many have actually seen one in real life. I thought I had but not sure now after a quick search.
I thought they were like a fat pidgeon. But a picture I saw it looks like a small bird, that makes a loud noise.
They must be migratory

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
They are small,kinda like a sparrow but a shade bigger. Camo is awesome so they are very hard to see. My wife just looked them up the other day as we have several around the house calling at night.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im thhinking the ones we have ar called "Chucks-Will' s Widow, after looking at the site.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Chuck-wills-widow/id
But the ones I hear sound a little different tone.
Just nice sitting outside and hearing them.
Ive always loved the sound and will whistle it all the next day. Kinda like when a song gets stuck in your head

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
I love that sound. Makes me very nostalgic for our little cabin in the woods we had 10 years ago.

·
Registered
269 Posts
best way to seem them in is the pre dawn time with a flashlight.
There eyes will glow in the flashlight.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have seen them in the road at that predawn hour on my way to the turkey woods. They have big eyes that reflect alot of light, But not what you might imagine they look like.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After looking it up on the Internet, I think Ive pulled some out of my grill on the truck.
Amazing sound they have for such a small bird. Im still whistleing the tune. And always wondered about the birds flying at night.
I Also love throwing rocks at Batts, they chase them like a bug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts