RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working my yellow pup through training and so far she has done great with everything. Got started on whistle sits and she does great coming towards me but I cannot get her to stop at all when she is going to the pile. She runs very hard on "back" and this I'm sure is part of the issue but I'm all out of ideas. Please help!

I have tried hitting the whistle and then stopping her with a check cord, I've tried collar pressure to stop her, I've tried everything I can think of and in serious need of some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I am working my yellow pup through training and so far she has done great with everything. Got started on whistle sits and she does great coming towards me but I cannot get her to stop at all when she is going to the pile. She runs very hard on "back" and this I'm sure is part of the issue but I'm all out of ideas. Please help!

I have tried hitting the whistle and then stopping her with a check cord, I've tried collar pressure to stop her, I've tried everything I can think of and in serious need of some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
if you have a check cord on her, she should be stopping...right? it may just take a couple days. have you just walked at heel a lot teaching sit on the whistle too?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Try stopping her to the whistle as she is returning from the pile first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She does great at stopping on whistle when returning from the pile and yes we do several reps each session with just walking and sitting with whistle. Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
She does great at stopping on whistle when returning from the pile and yes we do several reps each session with just walking and sitting with whistle. Thanks for the responses!
Keep the check cord on her until she is reliably stopping. By testing her without the check cord, and letting her get to the bumpers you are re-enforcing the bad behavior. You are more likely to get a stop before she has gained a lot of momentum. So, try stopping her early. Praise her when she has a good response. Any time the dog ignores a whistle and gets a bumper, stop her immediately and walk out and take the bumper away. Bring her back to where she ignored the whistle and resume.

If you are following a program where you force to the pile, you should never use the collar when the dog is running away from you. Think about it, you teach the dog in FTP that the nick means GET GOING BACK NOW! The dog's response should be to drive back in response to the nick.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Does she kennel or place? You might try sitting her en route to a less exciting destination.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

Thanks in advance!
The fact that you stated a puppy scares me. Are you in an area that some experience folks can help you.
It may be worth in gold.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would be careful about using pressure or check cord on the way to the retrieve unless you are absolutely sure she knows that correction is for failure to sit. For me, I never correct on anything until after it has been taught with positive reinforcement and I am totally sure they know what the command means. That means up close, far away, en route, etc.

The reason I say that is she could think you are correcting for her retrieving and that could result in a decrease in drive. On the other hand, if she has already been forced to the pile she could be mistaking the collar pressure for "get to that pile faster".

I teach the whistle stop at a distance by rewarding with a thrown ball/bumper as soon as their butt hits the ground. They get the game pretty quick. Just do it in a playing manner (away from pile work) and don't over do it or you could create a popping problem. It works beautifully if done correctly.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Also incorporating RaeganW's suggestion of starting in a less exciting situation is a good idea. We have a habbit of thinking if the dog can whistle stop 20 feet away in back yard, they can do it 50 yards away en route to a bumper. Gradually increase distractions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fact that you stated a puppy scares me. Are you in an area that some experience folks can help you.
It may be worth in gold.

The fact that I stated "pup" must have confused you, she is 11 months old. This isn't the first dog I have trained but the first I have had this much trouble with whistle sit. We can walk laps through the field and she is 100% with it at heel or working toward me, the only issue is when she is moving away from me. We have been on this for about 2 weeks now and I was just looking for ideas of different approaches....do you have any? Thank you to the people who have offered up new ideas.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Blackduk it should be mentioned that Hillmann's nicks are tiny reinforcement nicks, like a level one or two on TT. Just in case you are not familiar with his stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts