RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been discussed before many times but I was unable to locate anything. I am working on whistle training right now and have a few questions. I have my dog responding to sit on one whistle blast very well at my side. However, when I let her get out just a little say 5-10 yards and hit the whistle she comes in to my side to sit. I am curious how I can approach the rest of the whistle training? Step by step how do many of you teach it?

Thank you in advance! Jake

·
Registered
390 Posts
Will she remote sit if you use voice command? if not then you should start there and be patient. as you give the command, you may need to repeat and walk towards a little bit. but remember after she sits walk back to the original place, and go in small steps slowly increasing the distance, then add the whistle.

The pup in my avatar was 5 months old when taken and was already sitting by whistle and coming in by whistle. But i think he is unique as he catches on real quick.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Get the Lardy TRT DVDs (link on top of page). Mike demonstrates this step by step on maybe day 3 or 4. If you don't want to spend the $$$, then get the Lardy RJ articles which cost about $25.

Eventually you'll need to spend a few $ and get some training information. Best to do it now so that you avoid trying to piece a lot of training advice together that may not be compatible.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree with Captain Jack us Lardy or Graham. Get the information you need now so you can give your dog all the tools he needs to be successful. If you don't teach solid basics and reenforce it, these holes will be hard to fix later in training. What you are trying to teach right now is probably the most important command that he will need to be compliant with in order to do anything else.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
When do you guys introduce the whistle?

When feeding my pup, I give him the 'Sit' Command and he does, as soon as he relaxes for a split second I release him to eat. This week I decided to give the 'sit' command with addition of one short bleep. Yesterday evening for his last meal of the day I just gave the whistle to see. He sat quickly.

Anyone see an issue with this?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
When do you guys introduce the whistle?

When feeding my pup, I give him the 'Sit' Command and he does, as soon as he relaxes for a split second I release him to eat. This week I decided to give the 'sit' command with addition of one short bleep. Yesterday evening for his last meal of the day I just gave the whistle to see. He sat quickly.

Anyone see an issue with this?
I'd introduce the whistle in the sequence and manner outlined in the training program I was following. I wouldn't try to invent new ways to do it.

I followed Lardy with my last three pups and introduced the whistle about 3 or 4 days into formal obedience (maybe 5 or 6 its been a while). Teach sit, here, and heel with the lead and heeling stick. Then, after all those commands are understood and can be used in one session, add the sit whistle and then the here whistle.

I'm using Hillman's method with the new pup and the whistle is introduced with the sit command while working on lead. This occurs much earlier than with Lardy where the pups would be generally around 6 months of age after the adult teeth are in. Hillman introduces the whistle with the do in about the 11th or 12th training session. The sessions start at 11 weeks but are not done every day. The pup in the Hillman DVD may be 4 months old or so when the whistle is introduced.

The point is that Lardy, Hillman, Graham, Stawski, and countless others have developed and published proven methods for doing these things so there really is no need to fly by the seat of your pants.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'd introduce the whistle in the sequence and manner outlined in the training program I was following. I wouldn't try to invent new ways to do it.

I followed Lardy with my last three pups and introduced the whistle about 3 or 4 days into formal obedience (maybe 5 or 6 its been a while). Teach sit, here, and heel with the lead and heeling stick. Then, after all those commands are understood and can be used in one session, add the sit whistle and then the here whistle.

I'm using Hillman's method with the new pup and the whistle is introduced with the sit command while working on lead. This occurs much earlier than with Lardy where the pups would be generally around 6 months of age after the adult teeth are in. Hillman introduces the whistle with the do in about the 11th or 12th training session. The sessions start at 11 weeks but are not done every day. The pup in the Hillman DVD may be 4 months old or so when the whistle is introduced.

The point is that Lardy, Hillman, Graham, Stawski, and countless others have developed and published proven methods for doing these things so there really is no need to fly by the seat of your pants.

Oh I will be following a program soon enough,(Pup is 12 weeks today) but like you said, Lardy starts during Formal OB, Akin doesn't blow a whistle until mid way through Formal OB, Hillman introduces it earlier and others do it as very young puppies too.

I'm not just trying random things but was just wondering about this little subtle training option. I've got Hillman Puppy on the way also.

I guess you could just stow the whistle until Formal OB and simply stick to Verbal Commands until then. No need to rush. I was just wondering what others do since there seems to be a lot of talk on how much can or shouldn't be done with a pup BEFORE his Formal OB starts.

Thanks.

You can send me a PM if you'd like as to not hijack the thread. Although this is a 'whistle training' topic Goosehunter probably will not mind.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've introduced the whistle at different times with a few dogs to see what might work a little easier. I follow the same method as Captain Jack but teach the Here whistle first. The first command I teach is Here and then reenforce when I read that the dog is ready. I teach all this on lead first. Make sure the dog has the verbals down and reenforced before introducing the whistle.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If you can get the aid of a helper, have them hold the check cord so when your puppy tries to come to you they can stop them.

If alone, I usually just walk towards them briskly and repeat the sit (verbal) with whistle command, a few repeats of this and they start to catch on.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Brother there is more than one way to do all this stuff. What matters is that you remain fair and consistent with your standard. It sounds like you have a plan and it's working. If you talk to 5 people you are going to hear 5 different ways. Remain humble and a student and you'll keep learning.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Although i do recommend teaching some things as young as possible, sitting on the whistle is not one of them. You would be better off building your pup's desire to get birds instead, allow him his puppyhood. It's OK to blow the sit whistle when your pup is close to you, but demanding he sit at a distance is a little much unless he is a very aggressive pup and needs added discipline. You will have ample opportunity to work on sitting on the whistle when you begin come-on-command drill at about 8 months old.
Good luck
GG

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Although i do recommend teaching some things as young as possible, sitting on the whistle is not one of them. You would be better off building your pup's desire to get birds instead, allow him his puppyhood. It's OK to blow the sit whistle when your pup is close to you, but demanding he sit at a distance is a little much unless he is a very aggressive pup and needs added discipline. You will have ample opportunity to work on sitting on the whistle when you begin come-on-command drill at about 8 months old.
Good luck
GG
Thanks. The thought of demanding remote sit by whistle now never even cross my mind. His drive is great though. Yesterday he went straight into the pond without hesitation after a bumper. :cool:

Talking about puppy hood. To help me remember that he is indeed still a puppy I have left the cute little puppy collar on him my wife got instead of a more 'manly' looking collar lol it helps me remember, he's young, crawl/walk/run, he's young, don't rush him, he's young, let him be a puppy. Figured I'd get him a big boy collar in another month or two.

Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.