RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with the white blaze on black labs? Why do people not like that? If you had a FC or AFC lab that had a white blaze what that keep people from breeding to it?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Interesting. Does anyone know if there ever has been an FC or AFC with white on it? For sure FT'rs and HT'rs run some non-(bench) standard looking labs. I know one breeder (of very fine labs) who does a breeding where some of the pups have a teeny bit of white hair on their chests & it doesn't seem to bother the owners. Comes back to a fundamental issue of do you want to run a funny looking dog? I'd like to have a winner that's not painful to look at, but that's me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm now on my 2nd lab with a white blaze. First one we actually named Spot. Interestingly, both were NAFC x FC litters, 12 years apart though. I like the blaze personally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes there has been labs with white blazes that were FC AFC Bach Doar trained one and I cannot remember the dogs name. I will find out.

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Oh no... now we're going to have a generation or two of super hunting & gun dog/FT/HT dogs that are sporting white spots. The conformation people will have even more to scream at us about. Love it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Oh no... now we're going to have a generation or two of super hunting & gun dog/FT/HT dogs that are sporting white spots. The conformation people will have even more to scream at us about. Love it.
There have pretty much always been white markings showing up in Labs. Bolo spots are on the bottom of the feet, not uncommon and not considered anything to get upset about, do a search on Bolo if you want to find the source and reason for the name. A small amount of white on the chest isn't an automatic DQ even in the ring. Some people are particular about any white at all on their Lab, others don't really care, but white has always popped up here and there, nothing new about that.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
i love a lab with "bolo patches" on the bottom of the feet!

white blaze on the chest......uhhhm....not so much.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The standard is a spot no larger than a quarter on the chest is acceptable.

The term "bolo" actually refers to spots of white at the back of the foot--named after a male that threw pups with white spots on the underside of the foot (behind the large pad).

Meredith

·
Registered
310 Posts
The standard says a small white spot is allowable, there is no reference to a quarter or any other size marker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts