RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
RTF is for all retriever sports -- FTs and HTs plus just hunting dogs -- a little something for everybody -- besides that a lot of HT trainers use white jackets in training -- easier for dogs to see gunners and handler -- lots of people in HTs say train like for FT run in camo during the HT

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you're looking for "the men in the white coats" perhaps a site that focuses on psychological disorders. Then again, you may have found the right site. :wink:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I was curious about the same thing.How many people here actually hunt with thier dogs?I see Field trials,Hunt Tests and Hunting as three different sports with the Hunt Tests and Field Trials very differant front Hunting.I think it's great that anybody trains thier dog for any of these sports.I bought my dog to hunt.I plan on adding Hunt Tests and Obedience Tests to the mix for fun but it takes a back seat to actually Hunting.I'd much rather have a pile of birds than a pile of ribbons at the end of the day even though we're going after both.

·
Registered
423 Posts
IL Bob - from previous threads, you'll find that an overwhelming majority of people on this furm hunt their dogs. I got my dog for the same reason as you. It just so happens that what I needed in a dog's level of training is what is required for a Senior HT titled dog. By doing things right in the way of training, I was amazed at how much she had learned. She's 5 yrs old now and is obedient, birdy and steady and has been that way from our first season 4 years ago. I just had to give it a try to see how our work stacked up to the standard. If we didn't pass our first test, I probably wouldn't have tried a second time, but the success can be a liile addictive. I've met some great people along the journey.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Naa, we don't do no stink'in hunting. I don't know what people get out of it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can only legally hunt so many months out of the year. We fill in the rest of the year training testing and hunting illegally!!!!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Illinois Bob said:
I was curious about the same thing many people here actually hunt with their dogs?
There was a recent poll that indicated 80% of those here hunt and participate in HT/FT. Another 5% hunted only.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
north of 7 said:
Is this a site more for hunt test or field trials
Both, equally.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Illinois Bob said:
I see Field trials,Hunt Tests and Hunting as three different sports with the Hunt Tests and Field Trials very differant front Hunting.
That is a common misperception. All three are intrinsically the same in principle.

The purpose of FTs and HTs are to test the concepts that a hunting dog is likely (or possibly) encounter while on the job. There are hundreds of concepts -- going through (or over) an obstacle instead of around it; holding a line in a strong cross-wind; avoiding a point when the line dictates; getting on then off a point when the line dictates, etc., etc., etc.

It is all the same stuff. The differences are merely practical.

Because FTs are competitive, the concepts are necessarily tested to much higher standards than HTs in order to put distance between the individual competing animals. HTs seek to be as faithful to their roots as possible so they insist on wearing camo (and in the case of HRC using guns at the line). Hunting may compromise on the concepts in order to expedite a retrieve, in example allow the dog to run the bank on a close bird.

So the differences are only in practicalities. But most people new to FTs and HTs have not been introduced to the idea (principles) of concepts, so it all looks different to them because all they see are the practicalities.

Just look at the title of this thread "white coats." That says a lot. 8)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Kevin,You write much better than I do.I do agree that there are alot of similar concepts used in all three(FT,HT,and Hunting) and that almost all of these concepts will improve a hunting dog.I am impressed whenever I see a dog do well at any of these three things and have alot of respect for anyone making a go at either one.I still see them as three very different sports though.Ive been a gunner at Field Trials and been to quite a few hunt tests (spectator)although I'm new to hunt tests,I plan to run my new dog in them.Im' not sure Hunt Tests were around when I trained my last dog.I've hunted my whole life(so far).I've yet to see too many FT's or HT's resemble any hunts I've been on.I think maybe a better question would be then,How many of the people on this site hunt with thier field trial dog or run field trials with thier hunting dog?I guess what I was getting at is what the dogs are used for.I remember a hunt once with a friends retired field trial dog"Boone".We were at Horicon Marsh at a public hunting area.I don't know the distances but I think most hunters set up well over a hundred yards from each other.The group off to our right,a good distance,shot a duck in thier decoys.Boone broke.He stole thier duck after a long swim.It was a very long mark and retrieve.That hunt simulated a field trial.To Boone anyway.

·
Registered
423 Posts
IL Bob, why was Boone retired from the field trial game? No disrespect intended. But you're right. All three are entirely different, but there are overlaps where they're all the same. I'm sure we all started with "sit, here, and hold." and then took the path of our choice. We've all heard, "out of sight, out of control." Well, in my hunting situations, my dog has been "out of sight" plenty of times. Was she out of control? No. Hunting holds many more factors that are out of your control than do the games, but crazy things can happen there too. The first HT that I went to as a spectator, I said to someone, "what do I care if my dog doesn't deliver to hand?" His response was, "what if the bird is a cripple.? I started thinking about it and the standards made a lot of sense. The truth was that I didn't have a clue of how to train that discipline, or any others for that matter. Like many hunters, my first dog would "hunt" but was not trained. She was a great pheasant dog, but for waterfowling -FORGET IT! She'ld break on shot, she'ld break with no shot being fired. Everytime I let her out of the house she'ld take off to the nearest horse pasture for a snack on some manure, and I know there are many more like her out there. I'm sure there are some that play the games that heal there dogs on one side only. Because every hunting situation is different, I need my dog to heal left or right. This past season we had the opportunity to pull off about a 300 yard blind. (maybe there's a little FT potential in her) :wink: It only happened because we trained for situations like that. I think that the games set a benchmark to shoot for. Your with people sharing a common interest. You get a reward for your efforts. It can open doors. It can empty your wallet. All depends on what you want to get out of it.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It's all good,just different.Boone is long gone.I think his owner told me that she got out of it because mainly she accomplished what she wanted to do.She wanted a dog that she felt could compete with the pro's and run some Field Trials with him.Boone was from FC AFC B'vills Macho Man I believe.After that Boone hunted ducks and chased grouse with us in Necedah.Boone is in the background.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
larrynogaj said:
No disrespect intended. But you're right. All three are entirely different,. . . .
I argued they are NOT entirely different, because all three are about the same thing -- the concepts that a working retriever will or possibly will encounter on a day afield. The only differences are practicalities, which are secondary to the principle concepts.

How was I wrong? :?

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
hhlabradors said:
north of 7 said:
Is this a site more for hunt test or field trials

Doesn't matter. They let anybody in.
Heck, we even let show people in. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts