• Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Can you turn this into a poll of who does and who doesn't send their dogs off to a pro?

Andy

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
By and large, I send my dogs off to pros. However, I also train my own dogs, and train WITH pros when I train my own dogs.

Is that confusing enough?

Lisa-still trying to figure out whether she needs to turn in her judging license

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Pro.

I send mine to pros for the big stuff. Derby, FT etc. My HT dogs I send off and then get back and run myself.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Thanks Peake!

I do not send my dogs off to a pro. I can't afford the $500/month(or more) to send a dog off. Even if I could afford it, I don't think I would. I enjoy doing my own training. I know that my dogs would be farther advanced if they were pro trained but we'll get there!

Andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
I train my own dogs, but I also train with a few pro's . Wouldn't have it any other way. I really enjoy training my own dogs.

Peggy

·
Registered
29 Posts
I sent my dog off twice, both times were for two months. The first time was for FF through FTP and I finished her basics but ran into trouble a year and a half later on water so off she went again.

My next dog will go to a pro for all of the basics and transition training. For me it's just too important that I not screw it up.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
I send my dogs to the Pro at 6 months of age. If she thinks that they will be competitive AA dogs, they stay with her. If not, they get new homes. I handle the dogs in all stakes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Send the dog to a Pro for yard work. I do all the transition and AA work myself. To really fit in with most FT training groups, it helps if the dog is handling and can at least do the setups as singles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Guys

I was just wondering why you guys send your dogs to the pros for their yard work. Is that where you can maybe mess a dog up ? As you can see I'm new to training and training concepts, so any insight is great.
SD Lab

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I used a Pro to help with CC/FF of the mutt after I managed to screw up CC on my own, but now that I have been trained properly, no pro for me. I rather enjoy screwing up a dog with my inabiity to train! :lol: :lol:

FOM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sending to a pro isn't an option for me due to funds. I enjoy the training myself and I know that whatever my dog does or does not accomplish is my doing. It may take longer and we may not accomplish as much, but that's all part of the fun and learning for me. Not to mention the feeling of satisfaction I gain when things go right! :wink:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I started using a Pro for the winter trip last year and will probably continue. After a winter like this year, I think it was a good decision to keep my young dog in the water down south.

I love doing the training myself, but I enjoy competing and running trials just as much. If I did not send the young dogs south I think I would be way behind and probably not run trials until late spring. By using a Pro I can jump right into trials in the next few weeks.

Ken

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
We have 7 dogs participating in hunt tests. It take us a little longer to get their titles than if they had gone to pros but this is our hobby. We've learned a lot by doing it ourselves.

We have had professional help occasionally....We've had swimby done for us on two dogs who needed it daily at a time when we just couldn't do that ourselves every day. Right now we have a good deal going with a pro...I'm raising his personal puppy (now 7 months old) in exchange for his working daily and running our wild child Katy. They just finished her Senior title and he wants to keep her through Masters because he says he just has fun working her.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
First of all, more power to those that successfully do all the work on their dogs. I'm older and wiser and realize there are some things I'm very good at, and there are some things I'm not, and that is FF and Yard work. My first dog way back was done by Lardy's group that had to fashion a special collar for her. Second dog put the trainers back out so bad she couldn't get up and had the dog staring her in the face for an hour and couldn't work for 4 days. (found out a couple years later). Third dog was supposed to have been FF on the table and wasn't, and it got down to "bitch to bitch" and the trainer won. After hanging around at the trainers, a lot of dogs came in supposedly FF and CC by the owners and really weren't. A good trainer runs new dogs back through to patch up any holes. Holes in the training usually rear their heads later. The more I watch her training and fixing dogs, the more respect I gain for her knowledge. I want to enjoy running my dogs and have them be happy dogs, therefore, my pro does them for me. We bill each other for services, I'm the accountant, and its a win/win situation for both. The only way it works is if both charge the same for services as they would anyone else.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well I am on my first dog and have done all of the work myself. I train with a group that has a vast amount of experience and benefit from that, but mostly we are the result of some Cat named Lardy's program. :p

May have to use a pro in the future if my job progression moves forward and I have to travel alot, but I Really enjoy training.

Just to touch on the experience of one of my training partners. If any of you own or have read R. Wolters' "The History of the Labrador Retriever", A couple of guys are mentioned as being the first of the "Common Men" i.e. not of vast wealth, to enter field trials. They were Bob Willow and "Bad Jack" Cassidy. Bob is the one who I train with. He was originally from the NY/NJ area and many years ago a teenager by the name of Bill Eckett would come to train with him.

Anthony

1 - 20 of 20 Posts