Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dog with both HT titles and FC title or AFC title

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a FT titled dog win WRC or a HT titled dog or a HT titled dog that is QAA or AFC titled........ Why?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Sundown49 aka Otey B said:
Will a FT titled dog win WRC or a HT titled dog or a HT titled dog that is QAA or AFC titled........ Why?
There are only TWO dogs entered with field trial titles, that do not have a hunt test title.

I someone that knows what to expect at the top level of both venues will win.

FYI - AFC is a field trial title.

Shayne

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The dog that does the tests the best that week will win, regardless of titles.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
You'll probably be seeing a lot of these teams

33 23 HRCH Big Two Hearted River II MNH (QAA) F Black Lab
Lyle Steinman

or

69 20 GRHRCH Winterhavens Midnight Train MH (QAA) F Black Lab
Cade Gentry

And my longshot pick

23 16 Riparian Dakota Joe MNH (QAA) M Yellow Lab Daniel & Melissa Heard

I heard this one is the real deal :wink:

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
i voted for a QAA/HT dog to win because there are a lot of them. :lol:

i would think that dog/handler teams with experience in week-long tests would have an edge. MN and Grand dogs, or FT dogs who have run deep into a national , for example.

10 chances to lose.... and the winner will be good to excellent on most. it will be very interesting to watch when it is aired. i wish i could get down there to see some of it. a chapter in the book of retriever history is about to be written !

good luck to everyone! :D -paul

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shayne

QAA is not a title AFC is TITLED.....read all the words.....LOL
:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Man, that is a good point Paul. It is so hard to keep it together for 5 series, let alone 10, let alone 10 TOUGH series.

I'm putting my money on a GRHRCH with some trial experience.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my thoughts.......for what its worth.

:D In my mind I believe the dogs and handlers that have played the made for TV games will have an advantage. Their dogs will have experienced all the stuff going on around them . I think that the dogs that are high rolling dogs may be upset with the additional distractions. The TV cameras and stuff are not something you normally see in any training group I have been around. :D The dog and handler team that are on the same wave length will be hard to beat also. I will not name who my projected winner will be for fear of jinxing them. I think a major pitfall for a FT dog will be a mark that bounces across in front of them at about 10 yards + the sound of guns going off right beside them.

I have my VCR already programmed to record the show when it comes on so ......................DAWG TO THE LINE.........LOL

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
paul young said:
i would think that dog/handler teams with experience in week-long tests would have an edge. MN and Grand dogs, or FT dogs who have run deep into a national , for example.
That's a great point Paul. Big Abbydawg went 9 deep at the '03 National Open, of course she was being ran by a better handler than me. :lol:

Shayne

G

·
I don't know many dogs that run hunt tests that can do a TRUE all-age (open/am, which I assume is how these tests will be setup) test. I'd have to give it to an all-age trial dog that has either run hunt test or has a lot of hunting experience.

Curious to see what happens. You could lose a LOT of hun test dogs when you hit the all-age marks. I hope I'm wrong, but if it's an open all-age setup, I just cannot imagine the average hrch/mh doing that work -- if they could, they'd be running trials (if they don't already)!!

Best of luck to all.

-Kristie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Krisite - I agree with you. I think some FT dogs can run HT's but few HT dogs can run FT without a LOT of additional training. My vote would be a dog with All age experience that has some ht experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The key is how are marks judged? For instance are there rules peculiar to this event which in essence would grade a nice quick handle higher than a moderate hunt? Does anyone know how the work is graded?

Lanier Fogg

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Lanier Fogg said:
The key is how are marks judged? For instance are there rules peculiar to this event which in essence would grade a nice quick handle higher than a moderate hunt? Does anyone know how the work is graded?

Lanier Fogg
It is going to be typical of what we would expect in a regular event in the respective venues. Except these judges will give a numerical score to each dog's work immediately after they run.

Shayne

·
Registered
72 Posts
It seems to me that a dog that is at least QAA (better yet, FC and/or AFC) and also has HT/HRC titles would have the best shot. That would be the best of both worlds. The dog(s) would be used to the guns right next to it and other such things found in the HT, but would also be able to handle those LONG AA marks. Should be interesting.

Does anyone know what channel it comes on and when? Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
The dogs with HT experience and QAA without FT title was my vote. Few HT titled with FT title dogs entered. The HT series could give the FT dogs only fits- lots of duck calling up close, guns shot multiple times from the line, and close birds- my thoughts are many FT dogs will be so charged up during the week of tests that the short marks will become more difficult. FT dogs for the most part are ready to go long. A dog with that HT experience over a week will be better prepared to handle the HT series. The QAA says they can play the long game as well, even if not at the level of the AFC or FC's.

So much will ride on the type of HT and FT marks and how set up. I've seen HT marks that were basically the same as a Q test and in that case the FT dogs will do well. I've seen HT marks that would give the FT dogs a harder time. Obviously there are open set ups that will give a HT/Q dog a hard time. An all around balanced dog with MH title and QAA gets my vote because they have performed in both games adequately.

Wish there were more big name FT titled dogs entered so we could really see how they adjust to the HT set ups. We will see how HT titled dogs do on FT set ups. Many HT dogs entered.

I think Alex W. and Jerry Day will both perform well. They have played various retriever games with their dogs, including TV.

Sure will be interesting to watch. I plan on spending a couple days there .
The grounds are fantastic.
Gene

·
Registered
844 Posts
My money is on the dogs that are competitive in Field Trials. You can normally move down a notch, but most dogs used to marking 100 yards on a daily basis will have a tough time with a quad with a 450 yard retired memory bird. Just from what I have seen. . . and if they run real AA FT stuff. My money is also that Ms. Lamb will do so. . . :lol:

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
i don't know anyone who regularly smacks master level ht's that doesn't train on long marks (ft distances), retired guns, and all the configurations that ft marks come in at least a day or 2 per week. our dogs don't see many blinds under 100 yds, either.

lots of talk about 400+ yard marks, but there hasn't been one in a national in recent years. i don't think the judges will need one here either.

the ht dogs may be better prepared than many give them credit for.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Gene said:
The HT series could give the FT dogs only fits- lots of duck calling up close, guns shot multiple times from the line, and close birds- my thoughts are many FT dogs will be so charged up during the week of tests that the short marks will become more difficult.
That whole thing about field trial dogs being overcharged and to wound up needs to be on Mythbusters. It would be BUSTED.

It takes a tremendous amount of training knowledge to train a dog to the all-age level. If you think that trainer hasn't figured out how to teach "sit", then you are mistaken.

Shayne

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
It has been awhile since I read the WRC rules --

The FT tests at the WRC, will their difficulty be of minor stake (Q) or major stake (AA) caliber?

If they are of major stake difficulty, all my money is on the FC/AFC dogs.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Shayne said:
"It takes a tremendous amount of training knowledge to train a dog to the all-age level. If you think that trainer hasn't figured out how to teach "sit", then you are mistaken"

agree

well if FC AFC Orinbauns Buckwheat MH could run I'd drop a 100 on him

1 - 20 of 45 Posts