RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

If your dog or dogs were not eligible to run a Restricted would you still work the trial ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your dog or dogs were not eligible to run a Restricted would you still work the trial ?
Comments on your vote would be appreciated!
john

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Good point John.
Not on Friday. I would work and run the Amat Sat/Sun.
It's hard enough trying to keep volunteer workers on Sunday when their dog(s) were dropped on Saturday!
In a Restricted you're asking them to take off from work and pay for a motel for the sole benefit of allowing others(many which are pros who are being paid to be there) to run dogs :roll:
If the club makes an administrative decision to exclude my dog(s) then they have accepted the fact that they have excluded me.

Tim

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
I've done it for 8 of the last 10 years without a competitive dog to run at all....much less in a Restricted.....:?

But that's just me........... :wink:

kg

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I am in the same boat as KG, I will just now this upcoming year start running any of my dogs in any level of FT this year. I have been working at FT's for 4 years allready.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its great that you guys volunteer to work your trial even without running the open, but in a standard open you atleast have the option of running any dog you want.

I would probably not run my trial if it was decided that we have a restricted.

I also would strongly disagree with my club putting on a restricted for the sake on many good workers that would not be able to run their dogs.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Work at Restriced

Yes as we have so few memebers.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Don't really understand where this question is headed.

I've driven to Trials to do nothing BUT work when I didn't have a dog that was capable of competing in any stake. The whole key is to have co-operation between members of neighboring clubs, everyone chip in and work in order to make all aspects of the Trial work smoothly.

I can understand why a person might not take a day or two of Vacation if they couldn't run their dog. But if one doesn't have a Hell of a lot of other stuff to do, why not go do it? That effort will be repaid in my opinion.

Jerry

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Being hunt testers we've always helped not only our own club out, but other neighboring clubs with their field trials and we don't run them. I look at it this way. If they do have a restricted then we won't be working our butts off for 100 plus.

Angie

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerry said:
Don't really understand where this question is headed.

Jerry
It has been said on numerous occasions on this forum, that club members that are unable to run a restricted would be unwilling to work at the event.
This poll is at best a very unscientific way to see how prevalent that mindset is on this forum.
No more no less.
john

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I know the point your trying to make... Ted has mentioned it a few times. But i just don't see it as a problem. Realistically... how many KEY club members have legit all-age dogs with no points? I think thats a very small percentage.

SM

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Shayne Mehringer said:
I know the point your trying to make... Ted has mentioned it a few times. But i just don't see it as a problem. Realistically... how many KEY club members have legit all-age dogs with no points? I think thats a very small percentage.

SM
Shayne,
I don't know your defintion of KEY people but only commenting for the MRC we would have eliminated most of our chairpersons over the last few years.

Tim

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My definition of a legit AA dog is one that often gets to the WATER at the FT's entered.
This dog should have every opportunity to be at the right place at the right time :!:
The National(s), not the WE Trial is the place to showcase those Retrievers with the current placements.
john

·
Registered
301 Posts
My definition of a legit AA dog is one that often gets to the WATER at the FT's entered.
This dog should have every opportunity to be at the right place at the right time Exclamation
The National(s), not the WE Trial is the place to showcase those Retrievers with the current placements.
john
What is often? 25%, 33%, 50%, more?

For the person who runs 8 trials/year getting to the water blind 25% of the time means you only have 2 shots/year. No room for handler mistakes, though I somehow manage to fit them in :roll:

To actually answer the question, I would work my clubs trial no matter the stake or status of my dog(s).

AH

·
Registered
45 Posts
We're HT'ers so I can't speak about FT. However, with the exception of this past October/November, my husband and I have worked every HT our clubs have held since we joined. For many of them, we boarded our dogs for the weekend so that we could concentrate on what needed to be done at the test without worrying about taking care of our dogs.

IMO, working at your club's test, even if you don't have a dog in the game, is part of being an active member in a club.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Anthony Heath said:
To actually answer the question, I would work my clubs trial no matter the stake or status of my dog(s).
What he said.

Plus my crazy butt works some trials that aren't "mine" and pay good money to do so without having a dog....... maybe I need my head examined?????

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
For eight years I have worked every day of every field trial and hunt test that my club held and rarely ran a dog. For the past seven years I have worked only on Fridays of our FTs and will continue to do so regardless of the type of stake.

FWIW, I would bet that the 2.5 field trialers in my club that have competed in the past 10 years would also still work even though their dogs could not compete. I would bet even more though that they would never choose to host a restricted.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Work At A Restricted?

I voted "Yes" but it is probably an unfair answer--our trials are never large enough to merit running a restricted!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts