RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Only thing I've found ice free since mid December. I'm sure the retired folks in the townhomes next door think I'm nuts.

Working toward being ready to run Sr HT late spring. Only thing I've done so far is run blinds by hiding bumpers at either end and near the posts. The posts are a factor as my dog tended to want to run on the outside of them. Just shortened up. Usually run a single mark at the end more for therapy than anything. Not real keen about running in snow since you never know where the ice is and TPL horror stories.

Any ideas on drills you can at this location would be welcome.

Thanks

John B

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
You aren't going to want to hear this; since you are probably so happy to actually see grass, but I would not be running anything there where intent is to stay off the snow and on the grass, as I think the picture the dog gets and the lesson it would learn is that by avoiding cover and running roads or paths will result in being rewarded by finding the bird or bumper.
Contrary training to the max IMHO

Not the message I'd want to give to any dog; especially a young transition level dog

·
Registered
479 Posts
What part of the cities are you in? I am in Anoka.

There are much better places to train than that. I am starting to train now too.

If you want to get together sometime, or more info on places to train, PM me.

Steve

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JH345 & Lizard - Thanks for the responses. One of the reasons I posted this was to get feedback both +/-. Had not thought about the training to run down a path issue.

Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi All,
Only thing I've found ice free since mid December. I'm sure the retired folks in the townhomes next door think I'm nuts.

Working toward being ready to run Sr HT late spring. Only thing I've done so far is run blinds by hiding bumpers at either end and near the posts. The posts are a factor as my dog tended to want to run on the outside of them. Just shortened up. Usually run a single mark at the end more for therapy than anything. Not real keen about running in snow since you never know where the ice is and TPL horror stories.

Any ideas on drills you can at this location would be welcome.

Thanks

John B

What is the intent of keeping him on the grass? If there is no crust, or a light crust on the snow just but out bumpers and run cold blinds like you would in summer. Use an orange bumper placed in a low contrast area so the dog cant see it tilll hes close. Once hes lining and casting well use a white bumper with a piece of orange tape so you can see it. That will help with control at the end of the blind. Teaching him to follow a wall, or take the path of least resistance is counter productive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts