RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see so many more female pups/dogs for sale than males , why ?
Also, Do you prefer a male or female dog, and why ?
Just curious, I like male dogs.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
It may depend on your goals for the dog, and the breed you have.
My dog is just a house pet that I play doggie games with. I strongly prefer the male temperament in goldens. If I were interested in field trials, I might have a different opinion, not sure.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the more females than males for sale comment? Like anything else, it comes down to personal preference. With males, they want to pee on everything, fight, etc. and females you have the heat cycle which can really affect the way some dogs train, etc. I will pick a female every time with dogs of equal talent but at this time, I have two males as competitive dogs and a female puppy. It just works out that way sometime.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I feel like I need to add the Murphy's Law of breeders. Litters whelped will always have less of the sex everyone is wanting that year. So I guess the corollary is when you are looking for a pup of a particular sex, the litters you like will always only have pups of the other sex available. Speaking for myself, I prefer females, because I like to garden and they don't kill plants with the leg hiking. I don't think there's as much difference between male vs. female as dog vs. dog.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Julie's right. I had a litter of Goldens. I neeeded lots of gals. She had 3:(:(.
It IS a personal perference.
I like my boys or a maley bitch that IS the best for my personality. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.;-)
Sue

·
Registered
65 Posts
The "maley bitch" term came up in another recent thread and got me thinking a little bit. Can you elaborate a little more on it please? Also, is it easy to pick out these traits in a 7wk old pup?

·
Registered
150 Posts
My personal preference is a male. No "womanly issues" and luckily every male i have had has been a hard headed stubborn sob. I love a dog that thinks he knows better than you and isn't scared to give you the finger to try and prove it. The females i have had as a whole have been timid and pouty. Have yet to have one as head strong as any of the males. This of course is just my personality. Type A needs a type A

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My personal preference is a male. No "womanly issues" and luckily every male i have had has been a hard headed stubborn sob. I love a dog that thinks he knows better than you and isn't scared to give you the finger to try and prove it.
Trust me Take the pouty-timid girls. You don't want a female like this, because She does know better-more than you and it ends up being you who gets trained. Applies to all species BEWARE ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah, lost that battle with the better half. She's got me trained well. Probably why i prefer not to have them in the kennel, get enough female training at home. Lol

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yeah, lost that battle with the better half. She's got me trained well. Probably why i prefer not to have them in the kennel, get enough female training at home. Lol
Amen. If I wanted that kind of treatment I could skip the dog and just stay home to start with. :cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
females. males pee on everything.
!

Diddo on that! But its all personal preference. I prefer females due to a number of things. Overall personality and not peeing on everything primarily. Since I participate in a number of outdoor activities including backpacking my person reasoning has been proven. One of my friends brought his male lab with us, hes a big boy. About 3 miles in he had pissed himself dehydrated. Due to the fact that the other dogs where female I guess I should have expected that. Long story short we took turns packing his 90 pound but back out and rotated carrying 2 sixty pound backpacks. Pretty well cured me of owning anymore males. Most of my hunting partners own females as well. Cant get the males to hardly hunt(upland) as a team with the rest of the dogs. I had a great male, nothing I would change about him for the most part, Just couldnt keep him from trying to fight every other male. Let alone if I had another dog come into the house he decided to start marking the house. So when the time came I switched to females. I love having my dogs in during the evenings and for me females just work better.

Im sure others have had bad luck with females as well. The heat cycles suck if your keeping the dogs as a possible breeder. Other than that I love my girls and doubt Ill ever own a male again.......lol.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Trust me Take the pouty-timid girls. You don't want a female like this, because She does know better-more than you and it ends up being you who gets trained. Applies to all species BEWARE ;)
Amen to that one brother, I think Im starting to see the light on that one and trust me it has caused much pain and suffering along the way....

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Depends on how they're trained. Peeing on everything is a training issue. My boy doesn't do it, he knows better.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Depends on how they're trained. Peeing on everything is a training issue. My boy doesn't do it, he knows better.
Was thinking the same.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Males - peeing and fighting. Females - heat cycles, PITA. Don't know that I prefer one over the other. It comes down to the individual dog's personality and drive for me. I like a steady dog that explodes into action when sent and is all business. If I get that I don't care what gender they are, I'll deal with the little aggravations.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I haven't had enough of either to really give an informed opinion but, based on the males and females I have had and been around in training groups, I'll take a male every single time.

The girls are all really good around the house, very loving, like attention etc... but can be pouty and the mood swings around the heat cycles, let alone dealing with the heat itself, is a PITA I won't go through again.

The males, including the one I have now, are all business, not as needy with the attention but love it when given and seem to get over a tough training day (mentally) faster than the girls.

All that said, it's personal preference and there is no right or wrong way to go.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you let them. I've not had an issue with males peeing where they aren't supposed to whether it's been with my dogs or dogs I have in training.

Males are much more wash and wear in general and not nearly so moody. Then again it's all a matter of preference, but I will say that in my experience the females tend to try to get away with more than the males will.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Male for me. If you want consider some objective stats, from 2011 to 1980, there have been 32 AKC National Retreiver Champions. Of these 32 dogs, 21 have been Male, and 11 Female. I can't explain why this is, but its an interesting factoid nonetheless.
Is that because males are campaigned more?

By the way I prefer girl dogs cause its the only women that will listen to me here at the white house

1 - 20 of 23 Posts