RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious why some dogs and handlers that qualified are not running the National ?
I know there are health issues and possibly monetary reasons, also it's along haul to Onaway.
Please chime in if you know why they did not make the trip.
Congratulations to all that qualified it must be an honor to stand with your peers on that stage. :cool:

Thanks,
Gregg Leonard

·
Registered
543 Posts
I do not know any one persons reason, but the amount of time away from a job, or the large expense are two very good reasons that have kept us from attending in the past.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
One of our dogs needed only 1/2 pt. to qualify. We discussed the "what if" and made a decision not to go to the National Am if she qualified. The reasons not to go were:

1. our dog is a 3 year old untitled female. Rarely can a 3 yr. old female withstand the pressure of pre-national training the week before the National Am plus the 10 series with many flyers and quads.

2. the cost to travel from California to a National Am in Michigan with a 3 yr. old female.

We did not have to make the decision. She came into season the end of May.

Helen

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I had two dogs qualified. I had pretty much decided in April that I was not going.

Reasons:
1) Time - 2.5 weeks
2) Money - I am self employed. So for 2.5 weeks I would be not only spending money, but not making money. Plus, the economy meant that many of my clients were paying slowly
3) I did not like how my dogs looked. If I went, I wanted to go knowing that I could finish or win. I didn't think my dogs were running well enough to do so.

So, I told my wife that I was not going and that we were going on vacation.

Then my dogs got hot. One got a doubleheader. The other got two Open seconds in a row. But, by then I had made my commitment to my wife.

Oh well. My only regret is that this is likely Mootsie's (FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator) last NARC chance. She turns 10 in September and will not be able to run in 2013, even if I qualified her to do so.

Leaving for vacation tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
I had two dogs qualified. I had pretty much decided in April that I was not going.

Reasons:
1) Time - 2.5 weeks
2) Money - I am self employed. So for 2.5 weeks I would be not only spending money, but not making money. Plus, the economy meant that many of my clients were paying slowly
3) I did not like how my dogs looked. If I went, I wanted to go knowing that I could finish or win. I didn't think my dogs were running well enough to do so.

So, I told my wife that I was not going and that we were going on vacation.

Then my dogs got hot. One got a doubleheader. The other got two Open seconds in a row. But, by then I had made my commitment to my wife.

Oh well. My only regret is that this is likely Mootsie's (FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator) last NARC chance. She turns 10 in September and will not be able to run in 2013, even if I qualified her to do so.

smart man...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Ted Why would Mootsie not be able to run if you qualified her? Is there an age limit? Or should I say do you have an age limit?
Greenhorn to trials here ,just asking

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
For me, it costs ~ $5,000+ to go. I can do it once in awhile but not every year, twice a year if I get qualified for both as has happened some years.

Also, the nat'l am in in June. This is about the nicest month of the year. Why leave Alaska for half of it? Now, if they had a nat'l in January, I'd be working hard to qualify and go more often than I go in June or November.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies so far,it is sad that the sport we love is so expensive!!!

Gregg Leonard

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
But, by then I had made my commitment to my wife.

As much as we put into our passion for the dogs, they are only part of the equation.

Enjoy your wife and have a safe and enjoyable vacation.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far,it is sad that the sport we love is so expensive!!!

Gregg Leonard
expensive indeed! i have this friend named gregg leonard who owns super up and coming dogs and a beautiful deerskin trailer with awnings and atv pad. but he runs trials out of a toyota prius! 200 mpg and in electric mode he can slip in and out of a trial like a ninja!

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Got into Seattle this morning. Spent most of the day at the Museum of Flight. What a place. If you are an aviation buff, you will go nuts. Tremendous collection of WWI and WW II aircraft. I especially liked the WWI Fighter planes. Lighting was dim, so I apologize for the quality of the photos Albatross DVII.jpg Fokker DR1 Triplane.jpg Nieuport 27.jpg SE 5.jpg Spad XIII.jpg

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I left home Saturday June 9 and got home this afternoon, 4 days of driving and over 3000 miles and 5 great days of training. I had a good dog all spring who had a good week of training. He ran Sunday morning June 10 before 9 AM and had good marks and a 3 whistle land blind. He did not run again until Tuesday June 12 about 1 PM after a 90 minute rain delay and then it was over in a matter of minutes. I was stunned that he did not do the test in some fashion. To say that I was disappointed is a gross understatement. While I have not run a National since 2001 I was far from a rookie handler. The time and financial commitment is enormous, the results are rarely satisfying. My only consolation is that there were some very talented and more experienced dogs who went out in the same series. Holland qualified last year as a 3 year old and I chose to stay home because I did not think he was ready. I wasn't sure that I was going this year but with the encouragement of a few close friends I decided to go. Prenational training was a great experience for him, if he qualifies again next year I will undoubtedly go back but the financial and emotional commitment is not for the timid or faint of heart.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
expensive indeed! i have this friend named gregg leonard who owns super up and coming dogs and a beautiful deerskin trailer with awnings and atv pad. but he runs trials out of a toyota prius! 200 mpg and in electric mode he can slip in and out of a trial like a ninja!
Oh, so true Grasshopper, "when you can snatch the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave"
Dude, if I am ever lucky enough to qualify for the National, I'll definetly be in the Prius.
After reading Ed's post, it would cost me a gazillion bucks to take the big truck and trailer at 7 miles to the gallon.
I'll be flying to Michigan and Wisconsin for the summer trip this year, can't stay awake for that drive.

Gregg Leonard

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
There are a lot of very nice folks in this game who have the resources to do about anything they like. They could be traveling the world, have homes on the Riviera, climbing Everest, and on and on.

Those are the people you are competing against.

For the folks of average means ... not the average field trialer; the folks of average means ... this is your life. This is your vacation, your anniversary celebrations, your weekend entertainment, and sometimes your grocery money! :D To get the chance to go to a National Championship is huge! The enigma is that you are making such a commitment toward something that may not be practical when you finally realize it.

Everyone's gotta have something to get up for in the morning. Or not.

JS

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Prenational training was a great experience for him, if he qualifies again next year I will undoubtedly go back but the financial and emotional commitment is not for the timid or faint of heart.

In 2007, I went to Evanston with 3 dogs. One (Mootsie) went 6, one (Zowie) went 8, and one (Buffy) was a Finalist. Next year, I qualified 3 for Stowe, and was feeling pretty good about my chances. Drove across the country when diesel was $5 per gallon. Buffy tore a cruciate in pre-National training. Mootsie and Mozzie, handled in the 1st series, were dropped in the third.

Spent a boat load of money traveling to Stowe. But that was nothing compared to the bleak drive home after going out in the third. It was a bummer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Howard,
The Kings are runn'in at Lake Creek right now...........

But then you know that, you're prob there this weekend

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I heard there were a few there but the run was way down.

Don't know what the truth is. I'm training this weekend.

Later edit, they closed the entire Susitna River drainage to king salmon. Lake Creek, Talachulitna, and the Deshka Rivers are affected.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts