RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Why did you choose your last stud dog?

• He was the right color.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He was recommended by a knowledgable friend.

• He was within easy driving distance for natural breeding.

• He was the best complement to my female.

• His puppies would sell the best.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Great question - can't wait to see other people's answers. I chose FC Candlewoods HiRoller RealDeal "Regi" because he brought great bloodlines to the breeding that complemented our female. I saw him at NDRC before he achieved his FC and talked to his owners, Bob & Ann Heise - who made the breeding process super easy for us. I was impressed with Regi style, work ethic & appearance. Regi also had all his health clearences. I couldn't see any reason to not go with Regi.

Great pick on my part. Regi is FC as a 4 year old, had 13 AA points this year and went nine series in the National Open.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Rooster

I chose Rooster to mate to Lulu because I thought his whole litter was wonderful: Rooster, Raz, Izzy, ... He had some size and looks Lulu lacked, seemed like a good combined pedigree...

When I didn't get pups, I bought one by Trip out of his sister Genie.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Best compliment and was amateur trained most of the year. :wink:

Angie

·
Registered
83 Posts
People will not admit it, but I bet number 3 and number 6 are used more than anything else. How many times do we see the new NFC bred a bunch. Is that because the puppies will sell or because all of sudden that NFC before his name makes him complament most bitches.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
GregC said:
People will not admit it, but I bet number 3 and number 6 are used more than anything else. How many times do we see the new NFC bred a bunch. Is that because the puppies will sell or because all of sudden that NFC before his name makes him complament most bitches.
You hit the nail on the head!

·
Registered
403 Posts
GregC said:
Blasphemy! You mean people do all this research (according to their website, flyers, postings, etc.) and then influence their decision with three little letters?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I guess "Bastard ambushed her" is not an option then?

She shoulda been quicker regards

Bubba

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
These are the factors I look at when selecting a stud;

I want the whole package which is Real Desire, Intelligence and Working Conformation. Not just another NFC or NAFC, I want one that can produce well and looks great.

The stud must have all health clearences such as OFA on both the hips and elbows, CERF and CNM. Too many good studs to consider a CNM carrier.

Stud must be black. I'm not a beleiver in breeding yellow to yellow or Choco to Choco.

What has the stud produce at the AA level? In my book, a stud is not proven until he has produced successful AA get with at least several different bitches.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I have never bred a litter, so I obviously couldn't vote.

If I was to consider it, I'd make my decision by asking myself - Is this a breeding that I would personally just HAVE to keep a pup from?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Buzz said:
I have never bred a litter, so I obviously couldn't vote.

If I was to consider it, I'd make my decision by asking myself - Is this a breeding that I would personally just HAVE to keep a pup from?
Very good criteria IMO.

I feel exactly the same way. Not going to produce any litters unless both parents are so outstanding and well matched that the litter would be too good for me to pass up even if someone else was the breeder.

Jeff

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't believe people are being honest in this poll. I believe there are more people that breed for color. There are two threads on this page with people wanting pups, one for a yellow, and one for a chocolate. They have a lot of replies. There are a lot of people that breed for color first. They might try to find the best yellow or choclate stud. But color is still number one for many breeders.

Steve

·
Registered
516 Posts
does anyone look at performance? like how many points or better how many times a dog finishes vs how many times entered.

·
Registered
987 Posts
When I bred years ago, I bred to compliment my bitch -- also first two litters to best yellow sires I could find -- one was a NFTCH NAFTCH (THe Marathon Man), the other a FTCH that became a NAFTCH (The Shooter) -- both litters were very good -- third litter was an AA dog that my training partner had (had finished Canadian National year before) and he wanted a breeding and a pup for his buddy -- all black litter -- not bad bloodline and nice pups -- but I was not as careful as had been prior to deciding on previous two studs -- but I felt I owed him for all his help and because he was a friend so I did the breeding -- wouldn't go there again

1 - 20 of 66 Posts