Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Live flier

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT OTHER KIND OF FLIER IS THERE? I have always just said flier or flier station.
"Will you help me shoot the flier?"
"Is it a live flier?" :?
"Of course it alive, if it was dead I wouldn't need any/much help!"
I just don't get it. A lot of people here do it and hopefully someone can splain to me why.
Trying my 1st poll.

WAH - Pet peeve time
This post Auto-Zapped by UIM
AutoZap Software Ver. 1.0.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you had Traxx gunning for you you'd understand... :lol:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
C'mon Art!!!

I know you've seen Danny and/or James Parker throw a bird that is frozen harder than a carp and make it look like a "live" flyer.

By the way, I volunteered your services to Verdell at the Lone Star Trial. Hope you don't mind. Be there on time and don't embarass me.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
HarryWilliams said:
This must be a useful information poll as it got replied to by the UIM. But, I say it "flyer". HPW

I say it 'flI(-&)r and spell it incorrectly(flyer) as do most when posting about Fliers in the dog games.
john

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerry said:
C'mon Art!!!
By the way, I volunteered your services to Verdell at the Lone Star Trial. Hope you don't mind. Be there on time and don't embarass me.

Jerry
Aaaaaaaaannd I told him I wasn't going to Minnesota for no dang Field Trial. So I guess you gonna have to be embareassed! :wink:

I think Field Trialers say "Flier" while Hunt test trash says "Live Flier". I'm jus' guessin here. I could be wrong.

WAH - JK about the HT trash thingy

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jerry said:
C'mon Art!!! I know you've seen Danny and/or James Parker throw a bird that is frozen harder than a carp and make it look like a "live" flyer.
Jerry
It looks like a "Live Flier" but it is more affectionately known as a "Dead Bird". Not to be misconscrewed as a "Dead Flier".

WAH - Feel free to unzap me whenever you want! I think the server is runnin' to slow to unzap me!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Always thought a live flier was a no bird and a 10 minute recess while the bird boys chased them down :roll:

T.Mac

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I say "live flyer" because that is the way I learned it and usually hear it.

I get the feeling that some people feel superior because they have not used such a term.

Only if you have not used any of the pleonasms listed below do you deserve to feel superior. :lol: :lol:

natural instinct
awkward predicament
repeat that again
free gift
plan for the future (plan for the past??)
advance warning
regular routine
empty space
basic fundamentals
pair of twins
suddenly exploded
pre-recorded (post recorded??)

--Russ

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Well one of my wimmen gave me a pleonasm and I didn't like it all!!!!

I told her we were in an awkard predicament after she told me it was a natural instinct. I then pointed out that there was a lot of empty space.

Then WHOP, a pleonasm, right upside my head!!!

Jerry

G

·
Hey Russ,

Redundancies (OK I'll use the big word pleonasms) are funny. How about oxymorons?

A Fine Mess :lol: 8)
Act Naturally
Fail Safe
Indecent exposure
Jumbo shrimp
Military Intelligence
Near Miss
Peace Officer
Golden Retriever

Sorry to hijack, Russ started it! And I've always wondered about the flyer/flier deal myself...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think Field Trialers say "Flier" while Hunt test trash says "Live Flier".
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh I am not even gonna go there.

Must be he wants to live a litte dangerously.

What exactly did you mean by that comment WAH?

Margo

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Margo Ellis said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh I am not even gonna go there.

Must be he wants to live a litte dangerously.

What exactly did you mean by that comment WAH?

again .... JUS' KIDDIN'
My dog "Pancho de Honcho" got his JH (goin' 4 for 4) and I am proud of it!

WAH

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
The folk who say "Flier" vs. "Live Flier" do it unconsciously depending on how they heard it said when they started playing whatever game they did first. True as noted jokingly field trial folk, when setting up a field will say things like "Live guns" and "Flyer station". ukc/hrc folk will say "We will put a bird on that point and another over yonder". It seems the folk I hear saying "Live Flyer" the most are the uck/hrc folk when they are running dogs at field trials (yes they do cross over) and AKC tests. Possibly because they are used to ducks uthinized before the test starts and are now seeing "Live" fliers.
Ken Bora

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Melanie Foster said:
Melanie,

What are you trying to say here?? :roll:

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Melanie Foster said:
Hey Russ,

Redundancies (OK I'll use the big word pleonasms) are funny. How about oxymorons?

Act Naturally
Fail Safe
Indecent exposure
Jumbo shrimp
Military Intelligence
Near Miss
Peace Officer
Golden Retriever

Sorry to hijack, Russ started it! And I've always wondered about the flyer/flier deal myself...
Had anyone else besides a Golden owner had said: "Golden Retriever" we would be arguing till the cows came home! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the giggle this morning!

FOM

1 - 20 of 24 Posts