Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious!

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
Keeps me out of the house and away from house cleaning....LOL J/K

It gives me one more thing to do with these dogs that I love so dearly. I love watching them work. There's nothing like watching the expression in their eyes and their body language just prior to sending them for a retrieve!! :)

Vicky

·
Registered
987 Posts
To keep me from posting so often on RTF -- obviously with Maxx at pro's way too much time on my hands

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
FUN!

·
Registered
225 Posts
?????????Why do You Ask??????????

Why did'ya ask?

I play cuz it's fun and I like to watch my dog and maybe yours doing what the man with a plan made them for ... thanks Duke ya done good, maybe with a little devine intervention, but ya done good ... 8)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Really I think any of us play these retriever games because of the dogs -- you have to love seeing good dog work -- watching a puppy develop into a seasoned veteran -- how a dog pins a mark that you're sure the dog couldn't possibly have seen fall -- how the dog lines a blind or takes the exact cast right to the bird -- OR we're all simply masochistic and love to spend lots of money
I VOTE THAT IT'S BECAUSE OF THE DOGS

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
Because at 51 years old I have rediscovered my sense of awe. Plain and simple, everything these dogs can learn and do is miraculous. There is nothing in the world like the overwhelming joy it is to see the "light switch on" when my dog latches on to a new concept. Is anyone else here old enough to remember the final scene of the movie, "The Miracle Worker" with Ann Bancroft and Patty Duke? Its just like that everytime he "gets it" :lol:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Waterfowling is my passion.

I started out because I wanted a better hunting dog. Got hooked watching the Master dogs run. Now, my dogs are busy all year retrieving birds of one kind or another.

Steve

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
We had always loved to hunt and fish together and got our first Lab as the kids were going off to college. You know, the 'empty nest' syndrom. Well, some of our friends got divorces and we got dogs and have loved every minute with those great creatures and the wonderful people we have met along the way.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
The Question is:
Why do you play these games?

Lately, I have been asking myself that same question more and more.

We have been running test for over 10 years now. We have met lots of great people who are friends that would do anything for you and we would do the same for them. We have 4 HRCH-MHs in the back yard along with 4 younger dogs we are working to bring forward. It is a new challenge every time we take a dog to the line. That is part of the fun.

The part that makes me ask why do I keep doing it is this: There seems to be more and more disregard for the rules. I am not talking the judges interpretation or any of the many ambiguous "grey" area rules but those that are found in black and white. And who are the ones that are causing that? The club leadership and committees that allow things that are clearly against the rules for whatever reason and sadly some judges who know the rules and just chose not to follow them. Those people who are in power and think that they are above the regulations and guidelines. If you question those in power you are the bad guy, doesn't matter that you are right and can prove it. I'm not so sure that I need to feel this way.

·
Registered
649 Posts
For me, there are really 2 parts to that question:

Why did I START playing these games?
Why do I CONTINUE to play these games?

I STARTED because I was a duck hunter, and figured out that playing these games showed me where I needed to train in order to make my dog into a better hunting companion. Horse before the cart.

In fact, it's even more fundamental than this game - that's the reason I got a retriever to begin with - because I'm a duck hunter. Before I started hunting ducks, my "dog focus" was exclusively on German Shepards.

I CONTINUE to play the games for several reasons, none really more important than the others:
* I am still a duck hunter, so the reason I started still completely applies.
* I met allot of really great folks who have become my friends, and hunting buddies.
* I developed a love of this sport, in and of itself.

·
Registered
592 Posts
because I have no life!! the kids are grown up and gone and it is something for my wife and I to have fun doing and it still is a blast spending time with the dogs and traveling to new places

David Jansma

·
Registered
127 Posts
I actually like to train more than I like to run a dog at a trial. The experience of when your dog has breakthrough is irreplaceable. I actually like to watch from the field to see when a dog works out a problem. Another intangable is taking my dog to the duck blind for the first time or my son it was about the same feeling. But when they earn a blue its the highest of highs.
Glynn

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Glynn Matthews said:
I actually like to train more than I like to run a dog at a trial. The experience of when your dog has breakthrough is irreplaceable.
Glynn
Same here!!
Seeing a dog progress while it enjoys doing what it was bred for is a pleasure.
Rex Carr had the right idea. Don't run dogs at trials just go to the NFC and the NAFC each year to see what to train on next.

Tim

·
Registered
500 Posts
My husband was a waterfowl and upland hunter. He wanted a hunting dog, so we joined a club for a "better" hunting dog. Well that was 12 years ago and 3 HRCH's plus, all with 500 points. Along the way I started hunting. We like hunt tests because it allows the dogs to keep hunting after the season is over. So, like others have said - "because of the dogs".

·
Registered
987 Posts
Glynn Matthews said:
I actually like to train more than I like to run a dog at a trial. The experience of when your dog has breakthrough is irreplaceable. I actually like to watch from the field to see when a dog works out a problem. Another intangable is taking my dog to the duck blind for the first time or my son it was about the same feeling. But when they earn a blue its the highest of highs.
Glynn
In total agreement with Glynn -- prefer to train, more than trial -- amazing when they get that breakthrough -- but highest HIGH is winning the BLUE!!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts