RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in another older thread but thought this might get more response since the other thread is quite old.

Have a quick question-- was just about to purchase TRT but then saw TRM. Does TRT not cover marking???? Why do you need TRM if TRT covers it? Do not think I can swing both right now -- Which one should I buy.

I have a young pup who is doing well but we definately need a program. She is at the sit stay come part crazy about bumpers doing easy marks as far as I can launch it physically, and returning to hand. So we definately need a program just want to make the right choice.
Want to get one ordered so I can get started ----HELP

Thanks

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Please see this flowchart from Mike's website:

To oversimplify, the stuff along the left-hand side is generally "Total Retriever Training" material. While the stuff down the right-hand side is generally "Total Retriever Marking" material.

In my opinion, it is not really that black and white, but it is generally or directionally accurate.

If I had to pick one and get the other later, I'd suggest TRT 2nd Edition first. Then follow up with TRM.

Everybody learns differently. Everybody has their own set of experience and skills. Everybody has their own desired goals with their retriever. So what works for me or anyone else, may or may not be best for you and your dog.

Welcome to RTF. Good luck. Have fun!

Chris

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I posted a response on the other thread. But will repeat. Lardy on his website says get TRM first. Because it shows how to get a dog started in retrieving. However, I disagree. I would buy Jackie Merten's Sound Beginnings, then TRT 2. Then later for the advanced marking you can get TRM.
Don't forget Lardy's Total ecollar Conditioning dvd. Sound Beginnings is only $40. In the below thread, post #10, I listed the major topics covered in TRT 2. Yes, it does include information on marking.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56651&highlight=Mike+Lardy+Video

1 - 3 of 3 Posts