RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Should previous winners of the National Retriever Championship be qualified for life?

• Yes

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 42.1%
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Bad analogy. Lifetime qualification cheapens the accomplishments of generations of National Champions who received no such exemption.
Not really, it is exactly the same but we can agree to disagree.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
In my opinion there is many reasons to oppose this rule change, and I have yet to have anybody give me one good reason other than its a feel good thing.
Here's a couple fo examples of what I mean. The previous rule has been in place for almost 80 years with only the previous years winner being invited back for the the following year to defend his or her title. All the dogs in the past previous to this rule change had to earn there way back to the dance with a Blue plus 2. To work for and earn that privilege to be qualified required an extreme amount of training, talent and luck.
When you look at those historical records and see those great dogs that qualified for 8 or 9 or 10 nationals in their lifetime, that was a huge accomplishment.
Now after winning this thing, ( and that is a huge accomplishment) all you need to do is keep that dog alive and those years start to accrue. Now the amount of Nationals the dog qualified for is a skewed number in comparison to everyone else that has not won a National. Or is someone going to go back and do the historical due diligence on when all those previous winners passed away and adjust their records?
And how about this: A nice young dogs wins this National Open event. Now that in and of its self is a once in a lifetime experience. Now that same National winner for whatever reason struggles at weekend trials and can never get qualified with the Blue and 2. ( and this has happened several times in the history of this game) But they continue to come back to this event because of the Lifetime qualification rule. Now 2 or 3 years later this same dog gets lucky and has a good week at the national event. And He or She wins this thing again. Now what do you call that? The dog never qualified for the event like all the other dogs were forced to do.
Add to this the possibility that this National Champion now only has to train to run the National events and never has to go thru the grind or the rigors of the weekend events. You would never ever have to train on a poison bird blind because there will not be one of those at a National. You never have to train on huge water blinds because they cannot afford the time it takes to run those in a National. All you have to train on is big marking setups. Nobody else has that privilege or luxury.
Someone give me one good reason...........
Thanks for letting me vent
Randy
I'm waiting for someone to give Randy one good reason.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Not really, it is exactly the same but we can agree to disagree.
It isn’t the same, one is tradition (the Masters) the other chooses to ignore tradition and on this topic we definitely disagree infinitely

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to give Randy one good reason.
This man was irrelevant for 6 years leading up to this moment with 2 wins, the last coming 2 years prior to this. The only reason he was there that day was because he had a life time exemption. To this day listening to this iconic call still brings goose bumps. And for those who are sports fans that think " ho hum" I would say your alive but you don't have a pulse.

Now I will end with this, I am a minnow in the ocean and not a whale in the back yard pond, therefore you won't give 2 sheets to my "one good reason".

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It isn’t the same, one is tradition (the Masters) the other chooses to ignore tradition and on this topic we definitely disagree infinitely
Can you elaborate on "the other chooses to ignore tradition"?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
you won't give 2 sheets to my "one good reason".
I'd watch a stump rot before I'd ever watch the masters or any golf tournament. The fact that you and many others enjoy watching and or playing the game is fine by me.
Whatever traditions there are in the masters has nothing to do with the NRC.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
The Rocky Mountain Retriever Club voted for a return to the previous rule. To be specific, the Club is opposed to a Lifetime Qualification.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Can you elaborate on "the other chooses to ignore tradition"?

Thanks
It’s not complicated, the other is the proposed rule change. TRADITIONALLY the winner of the National Championship,Stake qualifies for next year’s National Championship Stake, not everyone for the rest of his/her life. There is no analogy to be made between professional golf and retriever field trials. If you want to indulge in ridiculous arguments choose another topic, cabin fever up there in the cold North? 😉

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It’s not complicated, the other is the proposed rule change. TRADITIONALLY the winner of the National Championship,Stake qualifies for next year’s National Championship Stake, not everyone for the rest of his/her life. There is no analogy to be made between professional golf and retriever field trials. If you want to indulge in ridiculous arguments choose another topic, cabin fever up there in the cold North? 😉
You stated giving a lifetime exemption cheapens the event, I pointed out an event that does so where the event is not cheapened in the least. Regardless of the arena you play in I don't see the analogy as being off.

I can honestly say I never had a conversation where it was discussed "how many times did xyz qualify?" It was always "how many points or Nationals did xyz have." Points and wins are far more important to most.

The NRC/NARC would be the pinnacle of the FT dog world, whereas the Masters would be such in the golf world. There is nothing wrong with the analogy other than the fact that to the FT world nothing else matters to the few who play the game.

There are so many things wrong with the game you love and have loved for so very long. I pointed some of those things out in a letter to the RFTN a long time ago. One of which I believe I made amends with however the game will never change for the better. It will continue to swirl the drain. Simply put it will do so because those who are at the top of the game won't do anything to make it better.

No cabin fever here, just an observation from one who isn't locked into a single solitary passion that can look outside the box. One who had the ability to be open minded about changes. Changes are made in an effort to make things better. Do you remember when trials ended with a blind? Do you remember a time in the FT game when there were no retired guns? Things evolve, generally for the better.

GOOD LUCK to your team this winter and into the spring. I hope Holland is still walking around by your side. Deets is certainly enjoying his time on the couch.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Do you remember when trials ended with a blind? Do you remember a time in the FT game when there were no retired guns?
Judges are still free to do either or both.
Simply put it will do so because those who are at the top of the game won't do anything to make it better.
Why not start a thread about what changes could be made to improve the sport?

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
So perhaps you should follow your own advice and start a new thread

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
So perhaps you should follow your own advice and start a new thread
You go ahead, I started this one.

I was not criticizing Reginald, he made a point worthy of discussion IMO.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
You go ahead, I started this one.

I was not criticizing Reginald, he made a point worthy of discussion IMO.
I have no interest in starting a new thread.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts