RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few days, the suggestion of hibernation seemed like a good idea. However, no
matter how you slice it, both dogs need to be out in it....at least once in awhile.

Therefore, my most important training tools are now at the ready. I am old and my body
does not deal with falling very well. So, the key components of winter training are now in
place. Deep snow needs high boots, but ice is more of a challenge. Years ago, I discovered
something called YAKTRAX. Walking on ice became much simpler and safer.

When a pair of MUCK boots wore out (the tops as usual), I cut them off and used the lower
part (plus the YAKTRAXs) in the airing yard. It has a slight slope in it that had proven to be
really unforgiving....not any more. Our driveway is sloped and it always WAS a problem.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I carry mine with me this time of year. I don't use the strap on top so it's easier to take them off when I go into the building where I work. Everytime I find myself thinking "It's just a short walk across that slick parking lot. Is it worth taking 5 minutes to fool around with putting the YakTrax on", I think about the people I know that have suffered bad injuries slipping on ice, some of them life-changing, and never in a good way. Then, I take the time to pull the darn things on.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've had YakTrax for years. They're great!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I should have posted the "companion device". (y)

With bad knees and poor flexibility, a portable boot jack is like magic.

Absolutely! I've got one in my dog truck and one at the training building.

Reactions: Kenneth Niles Bora

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
That is so cool! I have never before seen a store bought boot Jack. I just assumed everyone else just made them ourselves out of a scrap piece of board.
Common feature in the mudroom or kitchen door porch of everyone I know.
I am amazed truly. I never knew you could buy a boot-jack.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
My neighbor fell on ice and broke her ankle and maybe tib/fib needing some plates and about 18 screws. Whether it's an ankle or hip... the dog's training will go to h3ll in a handbasket while you recover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts