RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18 month old BLF are headed to our first competition and Derby tomorrow. I know she probably isnt ready, but I want to see what I have and how she takes in all the excitement of competition. The good news is that she doesnt age out until May so we have the entire Spring to play. Either way, we are gonna have a good time!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good luck!! Derbies are a ton of fun. Go get 'em.

Reactions: Gregg0211

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
My 18 month old BLF are headed to our first competition and Derby tomorrow. I know she probably isnt ready, but I want to see what I have and how she takes in all the excitement of competition. The good news is that she doesnt age out until May so we have the entire Spring to play. Either way, we are gonna have a good time!
We all started there. In many cases it was the only way we had to see if we could stack up
to the competition as we had nothing else to compare to. Funny thing was: Our local picnic
trial competition produced a NFC & a NAFC from that group.

18 Months is the right age at the least.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Good luck! I recently ran one with a 14 month old. Had a great time with great judges. We were lucky enough to play till the end. I came back with a laundry list of things that need work :). Knowing next to nothing about what it takes to train a competitive derby dog, it was an excellent learning experience.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well? How did it go?
She went out after the second. pinned the first mark and was on a great line to the memory bird when she checked up about 5 yards short and started hunting. the mark was in high cover at the edge of a tree line and she didnt make it there until an extended hunt. the test was tight and several dogs went back to the old fall and were dropped. it was fun

1 - 14 of 14 Posts