RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set someone off in my local club stating if you are going to walk your dogs in the woods during hunting season you should wear hunters orange for you and dogs. ;)

What are your thoughts on people walking dogs in wooded areas during hunting season??

> The Massachusetts Environmental Police is leading the investigation
> into the Dec. 31 incident, which happened in the woods behind Oak Street in Norton.
> John Bergeron, a State Trooper who was off-duty, said he mistook a
> golden retriever walking in the woods with Bergeron's neighbor Cheryl
> Blair for a deer's tail. Bergeron hit the 66-year-old woman with a .22
> caliber lead ball in the pelvis.
>
> Bergeron was not cited and his hunting license was not suspended or
> revoked, police said.
>
> Blair has gone through at least nine surgeries, many of them to remove
> infected tissue around her pelvis, which was fractured by the gunshot.
>
> Members of her family said that Bergeron should be cited for
> negligence, for shooting at an admittedly partially identified target.
>
> Read more:
> <http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/x1341772860/Norton-shooting-invest...
> n-ongoing#ixzz1pVPZfvzx>http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/x1341772860/Norton-shooting-invest...
> -ongoing#ixzz1pVPZfvzx
>
> She owns four Goldens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

> It wasn't a .22, it was a .50 caliber. (If he was in the woods with a
> .22, he'd have been breaking another law) She's lucky to be alive. And
> even though she wasn't wearing orange, and the dogs didn't have orange
> on, it's not her fault. He shot at a noise and some movement in the
> woods without identifying his target. 100 percent his fault and the
> only reason he didn't get thrown right into a cell is he's a state trooper.
>
> Interestingly, most sportsman's clubs and County Leagues are coming
> out against requiring people in the woods to wear orange during
> hunting season even if they aren't hunting, because there is a real
> concern that the antis are going to try and use this to paint hunting
> as inherently unsafe instead of a tragedy caused by someone acting
> stupidly. First lesson in hunter safety is to know your target, this
> guy broke it with near fatal consequences. There have already been
> calls to increase the legal distance from a building from 500 feet to
> 1,000 feet (the shooter was about 600 feet from houses) - that would
> shut down most areas in eastern Massachusetts to hunting, including
> large parts of state-owned land bought as wildlife management areas.
> The consensus appears to be that any actions that place the blame
> anywhere but on the shooter could have dire consequences for Massachusetts hunters.
>

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have hunted deer for 40 years and I can't come up with anytime a golden retriever looks like a deer. People who walk in the woods should wear orange but more importantly hunters should identify there target. The fact the shooter is a police officer makes it even worse.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
well,
this is what I think.
I think anybody walking around in the woods should be allowed to wear whatever the heck they want.
I, myself do not dress head to toe blaze orange in deer season when hunting deer. I often am in full camo
walking through meadows in the dark, with dogs. Going duck hunting during deer season. I have been
shined with spotlights by deer jackers and stalked by turkey and deer hunters while waterfowl hunting
in full camo. I realize I do not own the woods, we all must share it. I realize if I do not want my wardrobe dictated
I may not force others. I understand the first rule of hunting, target identification. The person in your story shot another person.
Assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. Simple, case closed. Not even a wildlife violation, but a criminal one.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
well,
this is what I think.
I think anybody walking around in the woods should be allowed to wear whatever the heck they want.
I, myself do not dress head to toe blaze orange in deer season when hunting deer. I often am in full camo
walking through meadows in the dark, with dogs. Going duck hunting during deer season. I have been
shined with spotlights by deer jackers and stalked by turkey and deer hunters while waterfowl hunting
in full camo. I realize I do not own the woods, we all must share it. I realize if I do not want my wardrobe dictated
I may not force others. I understand the first rule of hunting, target identification. The person in your story shot another person.
Assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. Simple, case closed. Not even a wildlife violation, but a criminal one.

Pretty much sums it up. Pretty simple.. Identify your target before you even point the gun in that direction...

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
well,
this is what I think.

If you walked the woods in NYS, you might decide that you needed to change your current wardrobe to include a lot of fluorescent orange.

Outside of that, the hunter is criminally negligent in my opinion. He took a hunter safety course, didn't he? We teach to positively identify the target. Can't say you did that if you saw only the tail.

Secondly, in my opinion, in the woods that I frequent, I think that it is stupidity not to wear fluorescent orange for taking a hike, riding a quad, or walking a dog. Of course the woman is not guilty of anything but think---she is walking the woods with an animal during hunting season. BTW, I have stayed out of the woods with my dogs since I met a hunter coming out of the woods who said he thought that my golden was a fox running around in the woods. Dog had a fluorescent orange collar on, we were grouse hunting, and this happened 30 years ago.

My opinion gdgnyc Sportsman Ed Instructor

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It was a woman with two Goldens walking in a realtively small wooded area near, or in, a well populated community. All of this is from memory and news reports so I'm not certain but, I seem to remember that there was some question as to wether the shooting took place just after dusk, past legal hunting hours. Also, that the hunter claimed that he thought he saw something that looked like a deer. And, it was the last day of the season.

I have little sympathy for someone who ignores the rule of absolute target recognition and what's beyond, especially a policeman who should be particularly aware of safe gun handling and responsible behavior while hunting. And even less so If he was hunting past legal shooting hours.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
I played golf at the Circle C course in Austin during opening weekend of deer season one year, the gunshots were within 250yds...never went back till spring

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I hold both Vermont and New York State hunting licenses, every year for some time now;-).
I suspect you hunt further up north. Take a look at what goes on near NYC.

You know, you look like a big guy to me (from your photo). Better not go out during bear season. Years back someone did think that they shot a red bear.:shock:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Sharing woods is an issue. Here in Iowa there is a lot of discussion from time to time about mushroom hunters during turkey season. Making them wait until afternoon to huunt mushrooms on public hunting areas. Best case scenario, mushroom hunts ruins the turkey hunt. Worst ce scenario, mushroom hunter walks from behind a brush pile as a shot is being taken and gets hit......

Fewer and fewer outdoor areas, with more outdoor activities being crammed into them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
well,
this is what I think.

What he said.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Why would you even think that most of the public even knows when hunting season is?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Remember, hunting is a privillige not right, so as hunter we have responsibities
not to piss off general public, because they can complain and there goes our
hunting privillige.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They did nothing to the officer because he was a state trooper. The women being shot was his neighbor. He was in a panic when he called 911. The women who started this rant in our club doesn't hunt. I don't know why she did it but several of the men hunt. I sat there at a dinner as the president announced it. In SD my neighbor's hunted deer right on the meadow in front of the house. The neighbor though my dogs stole the deer head. I told him when you are backed to Federal land those wolves will come down at night and take that meet. So we never complained about neighbors shooting the deer because they did it on their land during hunting season. Oh well. I don't know how anyone could think a tail 2 feet from the ground is a deer?? A fawn yes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
One of the first things you learn in hunter's safety is to make sure of your target AND beyond the target. If not 100%, don't shoot.

That was 20 years ago and it seems plain and simple to me. I've passed up plenty of small/big game because of various circumstances. That's part of the joy of hunting.

I'm astonished it was a state trooper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts