RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having 3/4 wood flooring installed in my living area this week. I have had laminate before with dogs but not wood. Gonna keep the pups and dogs nails trimmed good and area rugs down.

Any more advice you think I need?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Many, many, many layers of Varathane, you should be golden.

·
Registered
977 Posts
We haven't had any problems, just be prepared to clean up any liquids, whether they're spilled drinks or something gross that came out of the dogs, LOL. Those wood floors need to be protected against wetness. Urine and vomit are also kind of acidic, get them up quick so they don't affect the finish.

My dogs have learned that the wood floors are kind of slippery and they limit their running to the carpeted areas.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Be prepared for scratches. No matter how close you trim the nails it will still happen. I also think each dog is different with how much they use their nails for traction. On of our dogs nails come out like a cat when she takes out and the other just slides on it. We don't allow play in that room but there are still scratches. The first few hurt the worst.

If I had it all to do over again I would look into concrete or high end laminate.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Do not allow the dog to run in the house. Scratches will happen, but running makes it significantly worse, especially once they get up above 35 or so lbs. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Floors are designed to be lived on in my humble opinion..

That said,, I think the most damage to wood floors comes from Humans, and not the dogs.

Obedience in the house is crucial,, not for the floors sake, but for the dogs health. Slippery floors can and do cause injury.. So,, Fido,, your arse better behave itself..

Dirt, and sand tracked in by dogs or humans, then left on the floor to become an abrasive, kills the finish on the wood..

Have you ever noticed that in sandy climates,, NO WOOD FLOORS???
Most all are ceramic..

The most severe damage I have witnessed in homes with wood floors comes from lazyness to keep the floor clean,, then furniture or objects are moved, slid across that dirty floor,, the severe scratches are born..
Most all modern quality floor finishes these days are water and Alcohol proof. That doesnt mean however, ya just leave spills and notclean them up..

Also Felt pads on bottom of furniture legs are a must before ya start sliding them across the floor to clean.. Failer to do this,, then blame Fido for scratches is just plain wrong..

Again,, I think floors are to be lived on. Some scratches have to be expected,, and quite frankly, the beauty of solid wood floors is they can be refinished ...

I always find it funny, that people with Carpet spend all kinds a money on expensive machins to keep them clean,,, but will neglect a beautiful wood floor...

Gooser

Its really convienient to blame the dogs.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I don't like slippery floors ... potential injury to the dogs!!

For lower maintenance floors, I prefer a ceramic tile that provides better traction ... both for dogs sliding around and for older dogs who may have difficulty getting up.

JMO.

JS

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
unless you feel that wear and scratches add charachter......place train to the rug beside your back door!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Wood flooring will get scratched by the dogs. Ours is scratched on the "turn" going from the kitchen to the hall. The kitchen is ceramic, the hall is carpeted.

The "straightaways" are fine.

As someone else said it looks like they extend their toenails to help on the turn. One dog visibly doesn't like the turn, you can see him preparing to make it.

A rug on the turn would have helped.

It only hurts for a while.

I think the finish has a 20 year warranty. The finish is fine, the scratches are in the wood underneath the finish. The wood is exotic and harder than oak. I thiught that would save me.

The salesman told me the dogs would scratch it...

·
Registered
877 Posts
The main thing is to keep them clean, dirt and debris will add scratch marks. I would recommend to check with the mfgr of the floor as to what they recommend to clean it with and maintain it as well. Certain cleaners can adversly affect the finish of some flooring.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
This seems like a safe thread!

I had my floors re-done in 2005 and then put lots of rugs down. My house could use some work (you have NO idea!), but everyone loves the floors. I am pretty fanatical about sweeping every day and using Murphy's Oil Soap a couple times a week. It's not due to dog hair-my guy doesn't seem to shed much and I wipe his feet off before we come in. That said-training and going to the beach a lot-you can't get him completely clean before he comes in, so it just needs to be swept and mopped. I also expect running to be done outside, so have very few scratches. Those usually happen if someone else's dog comes over.

Guess it depends on how perfect you need your house to be too. I need my dog with me, so I'd be willing to sacrifice some things to that end. They aren't here long enough as it is.
Soooo-get out the broom and the Murphy's Oil Soap and enjoy your floors AND your dog!!

M

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Floors are designed to be lived on in my humble opinion..

That said,, I think the most damage to wood floors comes from Humans, and not the dogs.

Obedience in the house is crucial,, not for the floors sake, but for the dogs health. Slippery floors can and do cause injury.. So,, Fido,, your arse better behave itself..

Dirt, and sand tracked in by dogs or humans, then left on the floor to become an abrasive, kills the finish on the wood..

Have you ever noticed that in sandy climates,, NO WOOD FLOORS???
Most all are ceramic..

The most severe damage I have witnessed in homes with wood floors comes from lazyness to keep the floor clean,, then furniture or objects are moved, slid across that dirty floor,, the severe scratches are born..
Most all modern quality floor finishes these days are water and Alcohol proof. That doesnt mean however, ya just leave spills and notclean them up..

Also Felt pads on bottom of furniture legs are a must before ya start sliding them across the floor to clean.. Failer to do this,, then blame Fido for scratches is just plain wrong..

Again,, I think floors are to be lived on. Some scratches have to be expected,, and quite frankly, the beauty of solid wood floors is they can be refinished ...

I always find it funny, that people with Carpet spend all kinds a money on expensive machins to keep them clean,,, but will neglect a beautiful wood floor...

Gooser

Its really convienient to blame the dogs.
I endured the pain of converting our first floor to tile last year. As long as I have dogs, if I have the means to do so, I will avoid carpet and wood. Tile is the way to go.

Chris

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
When I lived in Lincoln Park I had a condo... I put in maple floors, I did NOT stain it, and finished it with a clear, matt finish. You really couldn't see any scratches.

Then I bought a house with old oak floors stained medium. Not so great. I did do a matt finish.

If I ever get a butt-load of $$, I'll go back to maple... plus, I love the light wood.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a house on a sugar sand beach with maple flooring, natural matte finish. I love it!!! We have area rugs and runners throughout the open first floor and have no problems with the dogs. I have a very energetic chessie who likes to fly from one end of the room to the other and have no regrets. We do vacuum and damp mop a few times a week and that is it. I worried about slipping on the floors but the matte finish is not slippery at all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I go to pick up the flooring tomorrow and will have it installed on Tue. The wood will only be in the living room bordering the dining area and the hallway to the bedrooms and one bathroom. The rest we are going to do in tile. I am not going to freak over a few scratches and this house is meant to be lived in and that is what we are gonna do.

Thanks you all!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Insist that your finisher uses 3 coats of Poloplaz Poly.
There is no better finish on the market period.
They supply the finish for most pro, college, and school B-Ball courts.
More expensive than most but well worth the cheese, I do high end
construction and would not use anything else.
JMO Good Luck.

Gregg Leonard :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't like slippery floors ... potential injury to the dogs!!

For lower maintenance floors, I prefer a ceramic tile that provides better traction ... both for dogs sliding around and for older dogs who may have difficulty getting up.

JMO.

JS
Agreed. I just installed porcelain tile last fall throughout the house, except for bedrooms. I've never had laminate or hardwood, but I've seen it look like hell when it's only a few years old - even in houses without lots of dog traffic.

Tile is just about bullet proof. It looks as good now as the day it was finished. The only down side is that it is slippery enough that my old dogs have more trouble getting up onto their feet than with carpet, and... you should see a dinner plate or drinking glass explode when you drop it on the tile floor!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I built my house 5 years ago. I installed oak hardood in all the living areas. I was worried about the scratches as well so I bought dog boots that have the velcro straps for my lab. They work great. I think it also helps to keep some of the dirt out of the house. The funniest thing is to see some of my friends reaction when they see a dog with boots on inthe house. One guy came over and the dog ran outside with his boots on which he's not supposed to do, but he about fell over laughing and said he'd never seen a dog with Reebok's on before. My floors have seen more abuse from my kids than my dog.

Darryl

·
Registered
931 Posts
I endured the pain of converting our first floor to tile last year. As long as I have dogs, if I have the means to do so, I will avoid carpet and wood. Tile is the way to go.

Chris
I agree. Love my tile. It's in every room but the bed rooms and dining room. Easy to maintain.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The wood is down and so far so good. I am going to do the dining room and kitchen and both bath rooms in tile. Going to place a large area rug down and foot mat at the door. My wife is happy and the dogs have been pretty good so far.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts