RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most have at some time - probably the lowest pressure thing to do & still be involved.
For those who have, your favorite committees & why? Include setup as it is an integral
part of the trial's success.

I have done setup, grounds, stewards, thrower, traffic.

Reactions: Kenneth Niles Bora

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have done grounds in 82, throwers in 86, traffic in 2006, stewards in 2012 and 2014, special committee and stewards in 2018 and on grounds and stewards in 2022. My favorite is stewards because you are close to the line, and get to see the dogs up close. Have also done setup on a few of these. These were all NRC events.

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
Marshal at 2nd to last blind!!! Got to see the test well and not quite as tense.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I would like to help/be a worker at the National Open this fall. I live close enough to be able to drive over. Who would I contact? (As long as my husband agrees to watch the doggos. LOL!!!!)

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
I have done grounds committee two times.
When the Nat Am was in Vt. With set up days each time. Was the local with a chainsaw and truck that could drive into any field. Was very cool working for the judges making access to running lines we had never used and properly brushing gunning stations. Listening to them discussing a field or water site was very enlightening for this humble NAHRA Field Test judge!
I recommend it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I would like to help with the National Open this fall. I live close enough to be able to drive over. Who would I contact? (As long as my husband agrees to watch the doggos. LOL!!!!)
I'm co-chair of stewards committee. Close to the line, great views of dogs. Pm me here and I'll get you set up.

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
I'm co-chair of stewards committee. Close to the line, great views of dogs. Pm me here and I'll get you set up.
Hey Brooksy it’s a cush job when you don’t have to catch and crate the birds, take care of the dead ones to keep them useable. When I was Chairman of Stewards we caught birds and crated them everyday after dark for the next day. If I can find the picture of my committee in 1984 I will post it and see how many people you can identify 😉

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
Can I play on this topic too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Brooksy it’s a cush job when you don’t have to catch and crate the birds, take care of the dead ones to keep them useable. When I was Chairman of Stewards we caught birds and crated them everyday after dark for the next day. If I can find the picture of my committee in 1984 I will post it and see how many people you can identify 😉

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
So I guess I m a national traffic junkie as I ve chaired traffic for Vicksburg 2010 and 2014 , co chaired Cheraw 13 and Paducah 18 ( actually followed the snow plow in twice in 18). Also co chaired the NARC traffic in Vermont in 16?
Traffic is a great job as your the first person most see in the morning. If your an early bird it’s a great task.
I ve also worked throwers and grounds but the best job by far is traffic.
Dk

·
Registered
557 Posts
If Fred is supplying birds he is a tremendous help but you still have to hang dead birds and sort bad from good for the next day. I'm also on grounds committee and after St Louis in 82 I said I'd never do that committee again. Cut a whole row of trees and cleared out a brushy fencerow, and then they didn't use that bird. Also weedeated over an acre of cattails on lake 37. Never saw a running dog or a test that was being run. Worked part of setup and the whole week of the trial.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So I guess I m a national traffic junkie as I ve chaired traffic for Vicksburg 2010 and 2014 , co chaired Cheraw 13 and Paducah 18 ( actually followed the snow plow in twice in 18). Also co chaired the NARC traffic in Vermont in 16?
Traffic is a great job as your the first person most see in the morning. If your an early bird it’s a great task.
I ve also worked throwers and grounds but the best job by far is traffic.
Dk
You the best traffic man there is to work for....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
So I guess I m a national traffic junkie as I ve chaired traffic for Vicksburg 2010 and 2014 , co chaired Cheraw 13 and Paducah 18 ( actually followed the snow plow in twice in 18). Also co chaired the NARC traffic in Vermont in 16? Traffic is a great job as your the first person most see in the morning. Dk
Just Traffic for the NARC in Ronan a couple years ago. What I thought was the worst was missing so much of the dog work. I finally got to watch most of the 10th series, but otherwise I was busy out in the parking area. I did like set up week because I got to work with a number of people including the judges, Head Marshall, and the gunners guild planning parking around the series location, gallery, gunners campsite, and that sort of thing. But I missed most of the National dog work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts