RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the workers selected? On a volunteer basis or are they called and asked to help out for the week?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
They are all volunteers, however, there is also lot of calling and begging that goes on behind the scenes for a lot of the jobs.;) The flier gunners are probably the only job that you have to be "selected" by the group to become a member.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
They are all volunteers, however, there is also lot of calling and begging that goes on behind the scenes for a lot of the jobs.;) The flier gunners are probably the only job that you have to be "selected" by the group to become a member.
The marshals always seem to be a fairly select group generally not accessible to the average grunt :), but the rest of the jobs can be usually had for the asking & the willingness to cover your own expenses.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Jake, you contact next years chairman and tell them you like to work. I have a feeling they will find something for you to do. Most field trial people Looove guys like you!!;-)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jake, you contact next years chairman and tell them you like to work. I have a feeling they will find something for you to do. Most field trial people Looove guys like you!!;-)
Bill,

I wouldn't mind helping out for a National just to get to watch the dogs work.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Bill,

I wouldn't mind helping out for a National just to get to watch the dogs work.
Then I would suggest volunteering for the bird stewards committee. They would put you sitting behind the judges taking and bagging birds. Best job for watching the test. They won't let a handler running dog do it until after they've run their dog on the test.

·
Registered
9,961 Posts
How are the workers selected? On a volunteer basis or are they called and asked to help out for the week?
The various committee chairpersons issue invitations to those willing to take time off from work and pay their own expenses. In exchange you will get a cap, a worker's pin, an invitation to the Wednesday night Worker's party, and sometimes a "thank you"! Volunteers are welcome, particularly for the traffic and grounds committees who see very little of the National.

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
Volunteers are welcome, particularly for the traffic and grounds committees who see very little of the National.
yup, I was on grounds committee in '08 in Stowe.
Dang!
Parking committee put trucks in wrong field. Made ruts, ruts were in ground. Guess who was called over? Vendors had to move tents. Folded tents were on ground. Tree huggers tipped over port-o-lets, onto ground. If it was on the ground, grounds committee was on it. I did learn how to brush up a gunners blind in the field like I had never brushed before. A skill I still use. I did get a cool hat and pin and they even let me plant the land blind! I learned how to lift an outhouse onto a skidoo trailer alone and not spill the blue juice! I got to say howdy to Ted and even Shayne was there! So that was nice. I would do it again! OH! no lunch! Not like a normal field trial. Yet one of the days, a refer truck from Maine pulls into the test and the guys says to me, with a puzzled look. "I have the gunners lobsters??" The gunners had lobster and I didn't have a bag lunch! I think they got the same pin I got though.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Dang!
Parking committee put trucks in wrong field. Made ruts, ruts were in ground. Guess who was called over? Vendors had to move tents. Folded tents were on ground. Tree huggers tipped over port-o-lets, onto ground. If it was on the ground, grounds committee was on it. I did learn how to brush up a gunners blind in the field like I had never brushed before. A skill I still use. I did get a cool hat and pin and they even let me plant the land blind! I learned how to lift an outhouse onto a skidoo trailer alone and not spill the blue juice! I got to say howdy to Ted and even Shayne was there! So that was nice. I would do it again! OH! no lunch! Not like a normal field trial. Yet one of the days, a refer truck from Maine pulls into the test and the guys says to me, with a puzzled look. "I have the gunners lobsters??" The gunners had lobster and I didn't have a bag lunch! I think they got the same pin I got though.
FUNNY!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JS

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Probably a bribe from handlers!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yet one of the days, a refer truck from Maine pulls into the test and the guys says to me, with a puzzled look. "I have the gunners lobsters??" The gunners had lobster and I didn't have a bag lunch! I think they got the same pin I got though.
The folks who organize the gunners set up their own area for food and beverages, and it comes out of their pockets. The Nat'l Am isn't involved in serving the lobsters. One year I helped on pre-Nat'l Am training with the some of those in charge of the gunners and was invited to lobster lunch. It was delicious!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts