RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, last year Vicki Worthington lost her "once-in-a-lifetime" dog FC-AFC RSK's Smooth Sailing, aka. "Cruise," prematurely to cancer.

He was an FC at two years with 20 AA points, and an AFC at three. In his short life he qualified for six nationals and amassed 80 AA points!

As a tribute to this wonderful animal, Vicki and her fellow members of the American Amateur Retriever Club established a non-retiring annual trophy in his name to be awarded to the winner of the Amateur stake at our Spring trial.

This year the trophy was won by Mac DuBose with his dog Dyna. The sweet irony was that it was Mac who sold Cruise to Vicki when he was but a pup.

After receiving the trophy from Vicki, Mac spoke briefly and proudly about the dog and his owner. When he finished, there wasn't a dry eye among those in attendance.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
OUTSTANDING :!: :)

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
What a beautiful trophy to honor a truly great dog. I am so glad that I got to meet Cruise. Briezy thought he was pretty special too!

And a very fitting winner for the trophy.

Andy

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
lablover said:
Second that. I've got a Cruise pup laying next to me at this moment and I feel the same way about him as well. He is my once in a lifetime dog.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should mention this was the second year the trophy was awarded.

The first year it was won by Jim Haller's "Elvis" being handled by Mitch Patterson.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Losthwy said:
lablover said:
Second that. I've got a Cruise pup laying next to me at this moment and I feel the same way about him as well. He is my once in a lifetime dog.
Double ditto! My Cruise son is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I cant believe I was able to buy him as a greenhorn to the dog games. He has taught me more than I will ever learn from books. I am quite sure if he had been brought up in a competition home with proper training, he would have done the ole man proud. He learns in spite of me. Vicki, what a marvelous memorial to a story book dog. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
bump..... I think Cruise deserves more recognition. How are all you guys doing with your Cruise pups?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
My pup got his SH at 19 months, and we have 4 consecutive MH passes going for a 5th this weekend (with a rookie trainer). Excellent marker, very high drive, lots of style. Have been told by several people he should be running FT. And receive regular comments on what a nice looking dog he is. Couldn't be more pleased.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts