RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Would You Breed To A Stud That Is A Myopathy Carrier?

• Yes - I would consider breeding to a carrier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I would not consider breeding to a carrier

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You have a nice QAA bitch that is that is OFA Excellent, CERF "Clear", and CNM "Clear"

You are looking for the right stud dog. Would you consider breeding to a stud that is a CNM carrier?

·
Registered
232 Posts
No, or at the very most...Not at this time.

The least of my worries is the tightening of the gene pool. There are so MANY Labs out there, I feel, that are not given the chance for greatness, mainly because of what we call a "weak" pedigree or becouse they are not from a "known breeder". Those are the lines we (Breeders)need to work on (ofa/cerf/ect).

It's only another option....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why would you, there are a ton of great dogs who are not a carrier. Same as dysplastic dogs, there are a ton of great dogs who are not. If we are responsible we can rid our breeds of these problems once and for all.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Nik said:
Why would you, there are a ton of great dogs who are not a carrier. Same as dysplastic dogs, there are a ton of great dogs who are not. If we are responsible we can rid our breeds of these problems once and for all.
How do you know?? The white list doesn't contain all the clear dogs.

Why would you??? Because there are great dogs that are carriers and they can improve a clear female in many ways......

Don't make it a bigger thing out of this than it is. You just have more information to make a better breeding choice down the road.

Angie

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't make it a bigger thing out of this than it is. You just have more information to make a better breeding choice down the road.
Yes Angie, and some of us have made those breeding decisions already :wink: :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
All things being equal, of course, I'd prefer to breed to a clear. But all things are so rarely equal.

If you plan a breeding for specific reasons, with specific things you want to improve in your bitch or add to your lines, that "huge" list of available studs narrows itself down to very few VERY quickly.

To automatically put an otherwise good candidate completely out of the running just doesn't make any sense.

Someone on the other thread said "it's got a genetic defect." They ALL have genetic defects. The good news is, at least in THIS case, we know about it. I'll take "known CNM carrier" over "secretly produces epilepsy" anytime.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why would you, there are a ton of great dogs who are not a carrier.
Please list the "ton" of great dogs that aren't carriers. I see a "white list" with about 140 dogs and know several deceased sires that are not thought to be carriers. This does not constitute a ton in my book. However, I hope you're correct that there are a ton.

I've bred to a carrier. Here's what I got:

The pups were great amateur pups. (which I liked) One made the number 3 pup on the derby list with 38 points. Another got several placements, one got a JAM. One got an Amateur all age JAM at 24 months. One has her first Master pass and a Qualifying JAM at 25 months. They are now 26 months old. No one has been unhappy with their pup to this date.

Although they haven't all been x-rayed yet, so far, their hips have been OFA good or excellent with normal elbows. All pups who have had their eyes checked have CERF'ed clear. There have been no strange genetic ailments of any variety yet.

Sometimes a carrier pup proves not only to be an excellent performer but also a very healthy pup. I'm not saying I couldn't have gotten the same performance and health out of a different breeding, but that one is now proven to me.

G

·
"You have a nice QAA bitch that is that is OFA Excellent, CERF "Clear", and CNM "Clear" "

Why, do you own one or is this hypothetical. If you do pm me I will buy it. A dog is a terrible thing to waste.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts