RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been banned from very much activity out in the sun for the last week.. I did manage to get an OK to go out and shootclays for a morning on the 4th..

ANYWAYYYY..

I bought the Book " Lone Survivor" but have never taken the time to read it. Actaully Diane had purchased the new sequel book for me for Fathers day.. I told her I hadnt even read the first book..

I took the time I had to read "Lone Survivor" during my TIME OUT period.
WOW!!!

It was the most incredible book I have ever read... That NAVY SEAL,,, Marcus Luttrell guy,,, is some kind of Human being..
I think this book should be required reading in our schools,, instead of that "Little Women" ,Scarlet letter, or Catcher in the rye Crap.
What an amazing read!

I thought I had a great respect for our servic epeople before I read the book.. My respect has risen 10 fold after reading it..

One of the Heros in that Book, was a SEAL named Danny Deitz of Littleton Colorado.. A Heritage High school Graduate. I had No Idea what that young man had done for all of us untill I read the book.. He is definatly a Home town and American hero.

If any of you have not read this book yet,,,, You absolutly MUST!!!

Gooser

·
Registered
16 Posts
I absolutely agree Gooser! I wasn't able to put the book down until I was done with it! Another good one I am reading right now is "The Heart and the Fist" by Eric Greitens- Navy Seal

DId you know that Hwy 85- Santa Fe Dr as it passes through Littleton is the "Danny Dietz Memorial Highway".

Also just an intresting side note, if you haven't looked up Marcus Luttrell's interview with Glenn Beck after his yellow lab pup "Daisy" was shot and killed by a couple of punks, you should give that a look also on Youtube. Here's the link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=asr8HKCtSnM

Stay out of the heat Gooser! Hopefully we get this rain we are supposed to get tomorrow through Sunday!

·
Registered
395 Posts
After practice one afternoon(I think it was my junior year) the head ball coach said he had someone that wanted to talk to us. It was Marcus Luttrell. He went on to give us a speech, most of which I can't remember, but what I do remember is that guy's intensity. He was on another level. It was an honor to meet him and talk with him for a few brief minutes.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I absolutely agree Gooser. I read it several years ago and it is by far one of the best reads I have ever laid my eyes on. The sacrifices Marcus and the rest of his team made are incredible. Thet gave their lives so we could live ours. Some kind of human being is right. The man should wear an "S" on his chest.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gooser,

That is a great book! Really makes you see how handcuffed our soldiers are, the brutal decisions that they have to make in the split of a second, and the peril it creates for them. Their postion demands our utmost respect!! I was not aware of a sequel you will have to get me the info on that and let me know how it was.

Take care

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well don't ruin it for me... I have to go get this book now, been meaning to for a long time... Jim

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"SERVICE" is the name of the second book,

I did notice that S SanteFe drive in Littleton has been memorialized for Danny Dietz
but I just. Booted that last week, and had. O idea of why

I noticed on our local news this morning they had both his parents talking about Him
it was really hard for me to keep my eyes dry
They were standing in front of a statue of him

Does anyone know a ything about that?

Where is it located

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry,, I was on my F'n phone tryin to type..

I just noticed the Highway memorial this past week or so ago... I had No idea why!!

Does anyone know anything about a bronze staue for him??

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Travis!

You are one lucky man to have the privalidge to listen to him speak!
I would give anything to be able to do that!!

Gooser

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Gooser "Lone Survivor" should be a must read for every American. I read this book over a year ago and have gone back and re-read it again. The sacrifices that Marcus's team went through were above and beyond.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Gooser,
you are right that is a fantastic book! Should be mandatory reading for all americans. Luttrell has been threw hell and back and would do it again to protect our way of life. We owe all those servicemembers more then we will ever be able to repay.

Marcus Luttrell spoke at the NRA convention a few years ago... its a great speach and tells ya a little what the guys is really like.

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/no-nonsense-navy-seal

I need to get his 2nd book, cant wait to read it...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I read his book 3-4 years ago and thought it was great. I got the chance about a year later to meet him and get him to sign my book. When it comes to serving their country the Special Operations forces do it with an intensity rarely matched. 99% of them view what they do as nothing special either. Just part of the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts