RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"That night, as I went to bed, I felt like I was going up against the United States Army (AKC), but I had been sloushed with diesel and I had Waggs' memory and Char at my side with a regiment of huntin' buddies from the river bottoms and rice fields, and so it was conceived, "For hunters by hunters," and the Hunting Retriever Club, Inc. was born. With only one club in existence, there was a lot of work to do to get char's titles before old age set in. Luckily, I had established a good business in the heart of duck country, and two full time trainers kept me in my business - for in between training, I was traveling and helping start new clubs. I concentrated on the Mississippi flyway.

There had to be hunters and huntin' dogs in these areas. It started in North Louisiana, then South Louisiana. Then we ventured to Southern Illinois, middle Tennessee, Texas, and were on our way nationally with Maine, Iowa, Colorado and Michigan. After five licensed events, Creoles Char Cole became the first titled Hunting Retriever Champion in the nation, going on too pass 22 of 24 finished Tests.

Char helped set the standard of what a Hunting Retriever Champion should be. He didn't do it only for me but for all hunters. When that day comes, he also has to place his friend in a grave with pride. they know his legacy will live on in his pup's pedigrees.

So now Char rests beside Waggs. They give me memories of all the lost game they found, companionship on cold nights, the comfort to stand tall among other hunters that I've sold puppies to. They were truly close members of our family. They ran in front of the Hunting Retriever movement but are not there anymore, but you are their legacy."

Peake - Who is greatful to have received this classic article/magazine that gave "Omars" account of just how it all went down! Hope you enjoyed it. :)
________
Vapor Tower Review

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Peake,

Did you edit the crap out of it, or is naturally full of holes? :?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Omar

Thanks for the reprint of that article. Having spent some time in a duck blind with Omar this past duck season I heard the "beginnings" from him while our group shot 63 ducks and geese over three mornings. What an experience.

The time line if anyone is interested was

September of 1983 the first hunt test was held through NAHRA

April of 1984 HRC held their first hunt test

Within a year, AKC decided they could form their own hunt test program and thus the AKC program was created.

Janet

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Re: Woosh

Keith Stroyan said:
Woosh, right over the tops of my boots.

Isn't this the way it was, Jerry?
I can't respond to what happened after I was "uninvited" to be a Founding Director because in Omar's words "You called AKC". Don't know and don't care!

Driskill, Jagoda, et.al. can speak for themselves.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
when someone says the bull$hit is flowing over their boots, they generally have a different version to tell. how about it, Keith? let's hear where all your animosity towards ALL the HT orgs originates. maybe the rest of us will get all indignant,too! -paul

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Peake,

thanks for going to the trouble to transpose all this for us! :D -paul

·
Registered
323 Posts
paul young said:
when someone says the bull$hit is flowing over their boots, they generally have a different version to tell. how about it, Keith? let's hear where all your animosity towards ALL the HT orgs originates. maybe the rest of us will get all indignant,too! -paul
Paul, watch out for the snakes. they do snake Sh!t, so don't expect anything else.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Cray Stephenson said:
paul young said:
Paul, watch out for the snakes. they do snake Sh!t, so don't expect anything else.
And your point is?

Jerry

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Peake,

Thanks for sharing that story with us. I for one was not there in the beginning of AKC HT, HRC or NAHRA but I am grateful for all of the organizations and what they each have contributed to the retriever game.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think emphasizing this 20 year old feud distracts people from critical thinking about what is best to move each of the organizations forward and increases a destructive tension between the different organizations.

IMHO, you are one of the main sources of "destructive tension" You are subversive and undermining. You want the leaders of HRC to jump just because you bitch about something instead of going through the proper channels. If you don't like the leaders run against them during the next vote. You have a personal grudge against them and it clouds your judgement.

Your attitude towards HRC is a cancer that is infecting those around you and those that will listen to you. IMHO it needs to be cut out to save the Whole.

Finally, as to the "snake" stuff. There was very personal name-calling going on in the "Rat" thread. I foolishly thought an analogy might put a stop to it. I also privately asked some people to stop. The trouble with name-calling is that it's not funny and I regret even trying an indirect way to decrease it.

Let's see Keith, the name calling, No personal attacks had happened prior to your analogy (Look at the thread) Who cast the first stone? You sure were quick to PM me with the names of the HRC leadership weren't you? You did nothing to stop it (with the exception of asking derek for a truce in a PM way after your analogy) in fact you started the personal attacks in PM's to me and Derek.

Who is rewriting history to serve them personally now Keith?????

·
Registered
47 Posts
---I don't see a constructive point to repeating a 13 year old version of one person's account of the 20 year old feud between Richard Wolters and Omar Driskill

It provided me with some information on how Omar, a true pioneer in this HT movement, saw things in the beginning and what his aspirations were for the hunt test movement. It helps provide a more complete picture of what went on for everyone. I asked Jerry to share his insights after his claim of involvement in the hunt test movement. This was not to stir the pot but rather to shed some light on this fascinating subject and pastime that has changed the lives, collectively, of hundreds of thousands of people.

Frankly, you were the only person that lended a notion of a feud between Omar and RAW. Otherwise it was a first persons account of how he saw the development of the HRC from the hunt test concept.

Rick

·
Registered
695 Posts
HRC History

I too appreciated the reprint of the old article. As Rick said it is one mans account of how hunt tests were formed.

Keith, I have a question for you though. You stated that you joined NAHRA in 84 and HRC in 86? Are you sure you don't me 94 and 96?

Janet

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Keith came to Alaska and judged me in a Senior in 1993. My avatar's father passed that day. Keith was one of the "old NAHRA hands" at that time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts