RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had an e-mail alert from my agility group. Here is a quote from the site listed at the end that you can go to for more information.

"Xylitol is found in sugar-free chewing gum, candy, and baked goods, xylitol is a sweetener that can cause serious and sometimes life-threatening problems for pets."

Here is the email I received:

"Subject: Re: Xylitol Poisoning
Many people know about dangerous substances such as chocolate, antifreeze, onions, grapes, etc. I'm not sure a lot of people know about gum containing xylitol. I know sugarfree gums have it, not sure about 'ole fashioned Hubba Bubba. :eek:)
A co-worker's Chihuahuas got into her friend's purse and chewed some of the gum. The dog's were administered peroxide to induce vomiting. Some came up, but not much. It was suspected that the male dog got it (he was notorious for things like that), but when the female started to have neurologic signs, they knew it was her. She had to be euthanized and it was a very stressful situation since not a whole lot can be done to correct the damage. I hold gum on a higher pedestal than chocolate because of this experience. .."

Here is the site listed:

Cases of Xylitol Poisoning in dogs rise, JAVMA:

www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/oct06/061001b.asp

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Xylitol.. human grade vitamin C...

Here is another email in this AM...regarding Vitamin C...Human Grade that was said ok to use with dogs by clerk...not the maker of the product...that has Xylitol...

......."FYI, recently my health food store was out of my usual brand of Vit C for
the dogs. The clerk told me about another brand he could order, seemed
to be knowledgeable about it, I told him it was for the dogs.
When I got the bottle, the label showed it contained Xylitol.
Buyer beware......"....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts