RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking at breeds and breeders for a new pup. I have a question that I'm having trouble coming up with an answer for.

Why are most yellow labs not yellow? :confused:

If I were to get a yellow lab, I wouldn't really want a white one. Maybe I'm just ignorant to the breed but I know I have seen YELLOW labs before. Can anyone give me some insight? I know there's a lot of "fox reds" but are standard yellow labs really white??:confused:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Maybe it's where you're looking? A fair amount of websites showcase pet type breeders who.often focus on a particular shade, the extremes of yellow being either red or almost white. I frankly don't see the majority of yellows in real field litters being either extreme. Mostly I see just yellow with normal variances in shade. Yellow pups can start out pretty light but darken some as they get their adult coats too. At tests/trials, mostly I see yellow, not a lot of "white" unless we just aren't agreeing on what white is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Most yellows start off lighter than they end up. My yellows turned much darker in a year and a half. A woman told me when she was a pup that she would end up being close to the color of her ears at the time and she was right.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I breed my yellow girl to a yellow male. Some pups were darker than others but none white or fox red. Several who looked at the pictures that were posted thought they were fox reds. The pictures made the pups look darker on some and light on others. BUt all were ture yellow colored.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I breed my yellow girl to a yellow male. Some pups were darker than others but none white or fox red. Several who looked at the pictures that were posted thought they were fox reds. The pictures made the pups look darker on some and light on others. BUt all were ture yellow colored. all pups feeding.jpg

·
Registered
439 Posts
As been posted pretty much by all. There are many color variations of the yellow lab. Yes they do get darker as they get older. Some pictures of my current litters you will see that the pups color are very much the same. My last litter I had two white, two light red, and 3 yellow first picture. Current litters are the other two pictures. My darker pups tend to sell first, and those two white pups went the first day my ad was posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Labs come in only three colors. Black, Yellow and chocolate. Black is the dominate color of this breed. Back in the time before DNA testing breeders did not breed for color, but for the best dog... and most often that was a Black Lab... today breeders can use the DNA of the the two dogs to predict the color of litters. So a lot more Yellow and Chocolates roam the earth today.

Why aren't more Labs yellow? I ask why aren't more Labs Black today. So my suggestion is to find a breeder who breeds for the best Labrador, and not for a certain color.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There are good labs in all colors ( black, yellow, chocolate ), so get a good lab with the characteristics you want and the color you enjoy.....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine favorite yellow Lab started out light, ended up much darker and is getting light again as all dogs do in their golden years. I would give anything to have him young again regardless of his color. Enjoy your dog while he or she is with you regardless of their shade of their coat within the three colors for the breed.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
There are good labs in all colors ( black, yellow, chocolate ), so get a good lab with the characteristics you want and the color you enjoy.....
What he said.
My first lab was black and he was a great dog for what I wanted, but I live in south Texas and mostly hunt dove. The heat during early dove season was really hard on him. My next two, including my current knucklehead have been yellows. Still suffer in the heat, but perhaps not as much and they have the added advantage of being the color of the dried grass in which we often hunt.

HPL

·
Registered
407 Posts
When I rode horses there was a saying "A good horse is never a bad color". This can easily be applied to Labradors. Given that, most of us still have an initial preference. I love a dark chocolate coat, but if I was given a well bred "white" yellow Lab, I wouldn't turn it down !

·
Registered
154 Posts
X2!!!! The best color lab is the one that brings back the duck.... Black, Yellow, Chocolate, Purple, Blue, or Pink enjoy your dog and enjoy the sport.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
X2!!!! The best color lab is the one that brings back the duck.... Black, Yellow, Chocolate, Purple, Blue, or Pink enjoy your dog and enjoy the sport.
What about silver? ;-)

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Hey OP! The dog in the post above is really nice! If you can PM, send one and get all the info on her.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts